The New Moor Market

Thought a new thread would be in order given the ones on the go are about the closure of the OLD one.

Well its been open what, an hour? Anyone been in yet?

will wait a few weeks for it to die down a bit and see what the fuss is about

Just hope it's not the new stomping ground for all alcos and smack'eads. I could just about live with them being over at haymarket, but the moor is far to close to my home.

Just hope it's not the new stomping ground for all alcos and smack'eads. I could just about live with them being over at haymarket, but the moor is far to close to my home.

I doubt it very much as its in a more affluent part of town with a far greater footfall. Its moved a lot closer to me so I expect I will nip by at lunchtime. Hope there are plenty of new stalls because the market had shrunk quite a lot. From the twitter feed I saw the ice cream, beer and russian food stalls. If they get it right, then it can be a reason to shop in town and is different from Meadowhall.

I doubt it very much as its in a more affluent part of town with a far greater footfall. Its moved a lot closer to me so I expect I will nip by at lunchtime. Hope there are plenty of new stalls because the market had shrunk quite a lot. From the twitter feed I saw the ice cream, beer and russian food stalls. If they get it right, then it can be a reason to shop in town and is different from Meadowhall.

does not mater if its a more affluent part of town you will also get smack heads, drunks, scum trying to pick pocket you as your shopping!

People are so negative. I dont think it provides the right environment for loitering and am sure the council will move them on. The market itself is all on one floor brightly lit and hopefully busy. Give it a chance.

At 10am there was quite a queue awaiting opening!

Ok, so I've just given it a go. The first review!

I had high hopes for the place, but I'm afraid I'm very disappointed. My main thoughts are:

- It's very small. I'm surprised it's only on one level. You can walk around it in about 5 minutes. I was kind of expecting it to be big, like one of the ones in Birmingham

- It's full of tat. 80% of it is mobile phone accessories, bad clothes and processed/packaged food

- It's already dirty. The floors were filthy and already look 10 years old

- There's a lot of empty units, especially down the south side of it

I went in looking for some lunch, some nice bread, cheese and maybe some interesting bits to take home for tea. But there was:

- Nowhere decent for lunch. There's one or two cafes and a kebab shop, but nothing mexican, oriental, continental, rare meats, bratwurst, streetfoody etc. I ended up having to go to Brunch n Lunch by Plug to find something appetising

- Only one place selling bread, and that was all cheap from-frozen; nothing interesting or in any sense artisan

- Nowhere selling cheeses at all

- Nothing resembling a deli

In terms of positives, I found a few things of interest:

- A craft beer place

- Somewhere selling duck eggs

- Some of the butchers looked quite decent, but then that's of no use to workers visiting in lunch breaks (I could imagine the looks if I turned up for the afternoon and put a leg of lamb in the fridge!)

Overall though I'm very disappointed and can't see myself returning