Is Sheffield so great?

I think Sheffield is a good place to live. If you can afford to live in the better areas of the city.

I think it's a very poor city in terms of shopping, hotels, bars, restaurants, if you like good quality things.

I think it's a very friendly city.

I think the biggest advantage is the proximity to stunningly beautiful countryside.

I would not describe it as "great" tbh. But people who live here and never experience anything else probably would. And there's really no point in arguing with them.

It's a great question.

Maybe an even better question for those not so keen on Sheffield would be what do you think is best about Sheffield?

If certain posters on this forum don't like Sheffield then why stay here? Having the benefit of working in most of the large cities in Britain, I feel I can comment.

You want nice shops, god help you then if that beats lovely countryside!

Top 3 cities apart from Sheffield , Newcastle,Bristol,Cardiff and yes Leeds andManchester have their heads way up there own backsides. When will Mancunian blokes stop having that ridiculous oasis style hairdo?[/QUOTE]

When news filters through that they've disbanded.

If certain posters on this forum don't like Sheffield then why stay here?

Can't speak for everyone, but my child goes to school here, and my not liking vast aspects of the city isn't enough reason to disrupt her education. The school she goes to is one of the best, if not the best in Yorkshire, so I'm understandably reluctant to change that, simply because I find the city centre entirely dire.

I live on the outskirts and no dont like the city and thats why i live where i do.

Im still pretty young but will spend the majority of my older life abroad and when i way up our familys villa in florida to sheffield theres no comparison !

So never lived anywhere in UK except Sheffield ?

There are FAR worse places to live than Sheffield.

This is a small rant - have I got it wrong?

I used to like Sheffield as a city, I still do just not as much. There's no identity anymore, there's no strategy about the future shape of the city. The new chinese quarter near Bramhall Lane looks appalling at the minute, the road network is awful, there's litter and graffiti all over. I like the different parts of the city but it's trying to be everything to everyone and hasn't got an identity anymore. I want to like our city but at the moment it's hard.

If I've got it wrong tell, but tell me why ....

This is a small rant - have I got it wrong?

I used to like Sheffield as a city, I still do just not as much. There's no identity anymore, there's no strategy about the future shape of the city. The new chinese quarter near Bramhall Lane looks appalling at the minute, the road network is awful, there's litter and graffiti all over. I like the different parts of the city but it's trying to be everything to everyone and hasn't got an identity anymore. I want to like our city but at the moment it's hard.

If I've got it wrong tell, but tell me why ....

you"ve just about summed it up right, mindbender.

Maybe an even better question for those not so keen on Sheffield would be what do you think is best about Sheffield?

It's a good place to get away from. The Peak District is on the doorstep and Leeds, Manchester and Nottingham are all within an hour.

I love how Sheffielders always put the Peak District thing first, like there's some big massive wall around the parts which border all the other towns and cities and only Sheffield has exclusive direct access!

I love how Sheffielders always put the Peak District thing first, like there's some big massive wall around the parts which border all the other towns and cities and only Sheffield has exclusive direct access!

I don't think that's the implication at all, just that it's very easy to get there from here.

I don't think that's the implication at all, just that it's very easy to get there from here.

It's easy to get the Peak District from Manchester. Derby too. In fact 20 million people can access the Peak District within 1 hour. http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/learning-about/news/mediacentrefacts

I live the other side of the border. Traffic is awful, I couldn't hack my way in to the city centre every morning I'd go mad. There are some very nice parts and some horrible parts but you say that about most cities. Shopping isn't great, but not awful - but where possible I buy online, to the point I'm weighing up a trip to eccleshall road or just order it online and get it through the post. Certainly beats the traffic which is by far my biggest bugbear.

Not sure that's it (certainly not what I meant anyway). I just think having it so close is a big plus for us, when there aren't many other pluses. It's the same way that Rotherham and Barnsley can access Meadowhall, but I still see it as a plus point for Sheffield.