Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Why are Leeds disliked by other football clubs?

Home > General > General Sports Chat

Reply To Topic

22-03-2017, 20:26   #41
silentP

Total Posts: 150
Almost all the time. They had successes and by and large they're remembered as a great team and rightly so. Hard tackling was a feature of football back then, they weren't the only club dishing it out.
I get that Sheffield has a dislike for Leeds, it isn't just about the football, it's most everything. It's an era they are proud of and why shouldn't they be, it would be no different if it were the Owls or Blades branded as cheats. They'd be beating the drum.
_______
No, no, it wasn't me, does not constitute an alibi! (Inspector Frost)
23-03-2017, 13:57   #42
TORONTONY

Total Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentP View Post
Almost all the time. They had successes and by and large they're remembered as a great team and rightly so. Hard tackling was a feature of football back then, they weren't the only club dishing it out.
I get that Sheffield has a dislike for Leeds, it isn't just about the football, it's most everything. It's an era they are proud of and why shouldn't they be, it would be no different if it were the Owls or Blades branded as cheats. They'd be beating the drum.
The hard tackling was a feature with the defenders, like Charlton, Reaney, Cooper and yes even Hunter. Bremner and Giles, however, were a disgrace. Ironically, they were two of the best midfielders around and the dirty play was so unnecessary. By the way, list the things that team actually won or came first in.
23-03-2017, 14:17   #43
silentP

Not that it matters particularly...

http://http://www.11v11.com/teams/le...d/tab/players/

The link doesn't appear to be working but if you put 'what have leeds won' in to your browser you'll likely get the info you want
_______

Last edited by silentP; 23-03-2017 at 14:35.
23-03-2017, 15:16   #44
geared

Total Posts: 11,578
It's on the Wikipedia article

Quote:
English Leagues

Football League First Division/Premier League
Champions (3): 196869, 197374, 199192

Football League Second Division/Football League Championship
Winners (3): 192324, 196364, 198990

English Cups

FA Cup
Winners (1): 197172

Football League Cup
Winners (1): 196768

FA Charity Shield/Community Shield
Winners (2): 1969, 1992

European competition

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
Winners (2): 196768, 197071
23-03-2017, 15:59   #45
Alex_B

Total Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by geared View Post
The short answer is "not a lot really"
23-03-2017, 20:25   #46
TORONTONY

Quote:
Well we were talking early 60's to mid 70's. So the third Div 1 title, the 2nd charity shield and two of the Div2 titles don't count, and the Fairs Cup was a bloody joke. Now make a list of what a really great team did in the same timeframe i.e. Liverpool.
23-03-2017, 20:53   #47
silentP

What would be the point, its well known that Liverpool's record of achievement is streets ahead but I'm not saying that Leeds are better than any other club am I neither was I bragging that they'd won a bunch of silverware.
_______
24-03-2017, 04:14   #48
TORONTONY

One last point on this topic, from me, is that if the 3 points for a win system had been introduced in the 60's ,Leeds would have won <removed> all.

Last edited by nikki-red; 24-03-2017 at 05:27. Reason: Masked swearing
24-03-2017, 06:05   #49
silentP

ok but it makes no difference as to the regard they're held in by those that like or loathe them, football is a lot about rivalry isn't it. Arsenal/Tottenham, Leeds/ManU, Celtic/Rangers, Millwall/everybody. I don't mind that people have an intense dislike for them, it doesn't change anything.
_______
24-03-2017, 09:12   #50
Andy1976

Total Posts: 429
Quote:

English Leagues

Football League First Division/Premier League
Champions (3): 196869, 197374, 199192

Football League Second Division/Football League Championship
Winners (3): 192324, 196364, 198990

English Cups

FA Cup
Winners (1): 197172

Football League Cup
Winners (1): 196768

FA Charity Shield/Community Shield
Winners (2): 1969, 1992

European competition

Inter-Cities Fairs Cup
Winners (2): 196768, 197071
So those are the stats that people are supposed to be jealous of?

1st Division title 3 times (SWFC 4)
2nd Division title 3 times (SWFC 5)
FA Cup winners 1 time (SWFC 3)
League cup winners 1 time (SWFC 1)

So the only thing above Wednesday is one dubious euro title.

I'm sure SWFC fans when they sing these songs are singing them out of jealousy....both last won a trophy 25 years ago, both are no worry at all for the actual big clubs, but Wednesday have won far more.
24-03-2017, 17:58   #51
Reclamation

Total Posts: 5
because we're all blades
25-03-2017, 00:06   #52
staninoodle

Total Posts: 2,335
Leeds were a VERY cynical side under Revie,they fell over anywhere inside the box,surrounded refs,they were the architechts of keeping the ball near the corner flag when 1 up with 15 minutes to go ( MOTD when the Everton ballboy ran on the pitch with the ball and placed it for Sprake to kick on the edge of the 6 yard box summed that up!) They werent without talent but their tactics were shamefull,including offering wolves players money to lose a game so that leeds won the title.
Revie was shameless and leeds epitomised their chief.
The irony was that when they reached the final of the european cup,the referee couldnt be bought and made the point with one of the most biased officiating performances in a euro final ever witnessed!
Just makes the rest of football wonder how many of their titles they won under Revie,and how many the BOUGHT OR BRIBED their way to!
Horrible club with disgusting fans,if we had one club in this city,wed double the gates they gate week in week out in any division!
_______
Not often im right,but iv never been wrong!
So whats on the DARK side of the moon,and WHY is NASA not fending off acusations from Russia and China.

Last edited by staninoodle; 25-03-2017 at 00:15.
25-03-2017, 03:57   #53
TORONTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by staninoodle View Post
Leeds were a VERY cynical side under Revie,they fell over anywhere inside the box,surrounded refs,they were the architechts of keeping the ball near the corner flag when 1 up with 15 minutes to go ( MOTD when the Everton ballboy ran on the pitch with the ball and placed it for Sprake to kick on the edge of the 6 yard box summed that up!) They werent without talent but their tactics were shamefull,including offering wolves players money to lose a game so that leeds won the title.
Revie was shameless and leeds epitomised their chief.
The irony was that when they reached the final of the european cup,the referee couldnt be bought and made the point with one of the most biased officiating performances in a euro final ever witnessed!
Just makes the rest of football wonder how many of their titles they won under Revie,and how many the BOUGHT OR BRIBED their way to!
Horrible club with disgusting fans,if we had one club in this city,wed double the gates they gate week in week out in any division!
Is that you Mr Clough ? LOL kidding aside, you are spot on.
26-03-2017, 02:54   #54
staninoodle

Total Posts: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTONY View Post
Is that you Mr Clough ? LOL kidding aside, you are spot on.
Clough was a guy you could admire,he took his team into europe and won the major prize unlike Revie who thought money bought everything,its why he failed with England.
Leeds had a talanted side,of that theres little doubt,but the way they went about their game always left a foul taste in your mouth.
_______
Not often im right,but iv never been wrong!
So whats on the DARK side of the moon,and WHY is NASA not fending off acusations from Russia and China.
26-03-2017, 04:49   #55
TORONTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by staninoodle View Post
Clough was a guy you could admire,he took his team into europe and won the major prize unlike Revie who thought money bought everything,its why he failed with England.
Leeds had a talanted side,of that theres little doubt,but the way they went about their game always left a foul taste in your mouth.
Brian Clough had the last laugh on Leeds, who dismissed him after a 6 weeks, that's for sure. He is still the only Englishman to manage a team to 2 European Cups ( Champions League) in a row.

Last edited by TORONTONY; 26-03-2017 at 04:52.
Reply To Topic