Irritable Bowel Syndrome

I know this is an old thread , there are many things in the diet these days which can cause these symptoms, most of the food you buy is processed in some way . I prefer natural food grown without chemicals in the soil , I cook from fresh everyday , I don't microwave but doing real cooking like my mum used to do , I don't buy convenience foods.

If you have IBS or constipation I would visit a trained colon hydrotherapist who knows about diet , can help clear the toxins out of your system if you don't go to the toilet your body absorbs toxins from the bowels which leads to all sorts of illness .If anyone want the name of such a person Pm me please .

As I have stated above, whilst for many the diagnosis means that they should learn to eat a more healthy wholegrain and vegetable diet, for some it can be the fibre itself which is causing the symptoms. If you have IBS or constipation you really need to see a dietician, not someone who is administering a very large enema as your first port of call.

For the vast majority of people, guts cleanse themselves very effectively and there is no such thing as 'toxin build up' which needs detoxing. Thousands of years of humankind lived perfectly well without feeling the need to wash out their bowels.

gluten is your no 1 enemy as our flours etc are processed

And huge amounts of research has shown that unless you are coeliac, you do NOT have a problem with gluten and can eat it just fine. Coeliacs have major symptoms of debilitation and other symptoms, not just bloating and abdominal discomfort.

To anybody who believes that they may have coeliac disease, please go to your GP and ask for referral to get a proper test. Don't just start avoiding gluten as that can mean that you inadvertently end up eating a much less balanced diet when you don't need to make these expensive changes.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it's not just what you eat, but how you eat.

A lot of people don't realise how tense they are all the time, and how this can interfere with digestion.

Never allow yourself to get ravenously hungry, eat regularly. Try never to eat in a hurry or gulp your food down. Make a conscious effort to spend a few minutes relaxing and taking calming deep breaths before you eat. Actively relax your stomach muscles. Eat small amounts and chew it thoroughly before swallowing. Put your knife and fork down between mouthfulls, and take a little drink of water. Eat slowly. Enjoy the flavours and the textures. Make sure you leave some time at the end of your meal to continue this calm quiet mood for a little while, the longer the better.

All this sounds obvious and simple but it isn't. Too many people have forgotten how to eat properly and rush at everything. The frantic pace of life extends to their eating habits. I think some IBS is caused by the rush of acid to the stomach brought on by stress and worry, so slow down; you are entitled to do this for your own health. Eating at your desk while you work is possibly the worse thing you can do and isn't acceptable particularly if you have any stomach disorders.

I used to suffer chronic IBS, and took medication which in the long term actually made it worse. When this constant tension was pointed out to me I was able to learn relaxation exercises and change my habits. My IBS hasn't gone completely but is now so much better. I no longer take medication for it and instead simply eat a pot of probiotic yogurt every morning, and relax.

There is some dispute that the so called probiotic yogurts really do the job they are supposed to do or are they destroyed by the time they reach the stomach.? You can also get probiotics in pill form but even these are questioned by the experts after testing.I think only one probiotic drink passed the test but this could only be bought online.

As I have stated above, whilst for many the diagnosis means that they should learn to eat a more healthy wholegrain and vegetable diet, for some it can be the fibre itself which is causing the symptoms. If you have IBS or constipation you really need to see a dietician, not someone who is administering a very large enema as your first port of call.

For the vast majority of people, guts cleanse themselves very effectively and there is no such thing as 'toxin build up' which needs detoxing. Thousands of years of humankind lived perfectly well without feeling the need to wash out their bowels.

And huge amounts of research has shown that unless you are coeliac, you do NOT have a problem with gluten and can eat it just fine. Coeliacs have major symptoms of debilitation and other symptoms, not just bloating and abdominal discomfort.

To anybody who believes that they may have coeliac disease, please go to your GP and ask for referral to get a proper test. Don't just start avoiding gluten as that can mean that you inadvertently end up eating a much less balanced diet when you don't need to make these expensive changes.

whole meal and bran is supposed to be good for you but I believe oat based cereals , flours work far better as less processed . My Gp advised me that eating Bran and wholemeal wouldn't help he advised oat based product and probiotic drink such as yakult, which is the only probiotic hospitals use ( according to Gp ) I am not a coeliac but I know from cutting out gluten myself it makes things much better and actually healthier especially in this country where products are processed far more.

anyone who thinks they have coeliac disease should consult their GP and be referred.

I am to take an allergy test soon to see if I'm allergic to any type of food or drink.

Has anyone who has been diagnosed with IBS suffered very repetivive bouts of nausea as part of it?

Yes, if your IBS is giving you constipation, your digestive system slows right down and you feel nauseas . You also have very bad bloating which presses on your ribs and affects the spine.

There is some dispute that the so called probiotic yogurts really do the job they are supposed to do or are they destroyed by the time they reach the stomach.? You can also get probiotics in pill form but even these are questioned by the experts after testing.I think only one probiotic drink passed the test but this could only be bought online.

I read somewhere that Kefir was the only one that got through to the stomach. If that is the case then it is pretty easy to get. My wife has bought it from the big ASDA off Handsworth Road. (But she said it was on a shelf a little away from the other yoghurty type products, she found it more by accident than design, so may need to ask).

However, it is very easy to make. You can buy the live culture off the internet. It comes in 2 forms, one which lasts for only a few cycles, and one that will last forever. You just add some of the culture to milk at room temperature, cover it and leave it for a day or two. Then you save a bit to start a new culture (either a bit of the liquid or the grains which look a bit like wet cauliflower). The grains are removed by straining and the liquid put into the fridge to drink.

You need to heat the milk to kill off unwanted bacteria that is already in it and which would compete with the kefir bacteria and then let it cool back to room temperature before you add the culture. This is fiddly. An easier way is to use UHT milk which has, of course, already been heated.

Edit. The big advantage of Kefir is that it is made at room temperature, so no careful temperature control is required.

Edit. Just realised that I'm responding to an old post.

Edited by Eater Sundae