Raspberries Canes

I have just taken over an allotment and there are 2 rows of raspberry canes. They look quite thin and straggly about 3 foot tall. Not sure what variety or summer/autumn raspberries. What would be the best to do with these with regards to pruning? do i cut right back to floor of only so much off? and when ideal time to prune? Any advice gratefully received

hi I have autumn bliss and cut them to the ground and they are self supporting which is good and produce a great crop,maybebest to ask nearby plot holders if they knew what type its previous occupant put in or check shed to see if theres any clues around or cut down and wait.

hi I have autumn bliss and cut them to the ground and they are self supporting which is good and produce a great crop,maybebest to ask nearby plot holders if they knew what type its previous occupant put in or check shed to see if theres any clues around or cut down and wait.

Just what I was going to say. The Autumn fruiting canes need cutting back to just above ground level, unlike the summer fruiting ones.

If they are Autumn fruiting canes you should be able to see fruit husks on the cane, if so cut them right down. Being "quite thin and straggly about 3 foot tall" they sound like this seasons growth to fruit early next season. give them some support (Canes etc.) and TLC and see what happens.

I would leave them this year. Ours fruit mid to late summer on the previous years growth. Ours can flop over a bit, especially when it rains. When in fruit the are almost horizontal if we don't support them.

Both autumn & Summer fruiting named raspberry canes available. £5.00 per pot of 5.