Yell.com any good?

Yellow pages may work for a certain type of customer. Yell online is absolutely unnecessary. I would put all your resources into Facebook advertising. Build a good Facebook profile page, get people interested in the regular stories, photos, videos and case studies that you share or post. Aim for 1 video a week, 2 other posts per week, posted at the same time each week (get a couple of months lined up in advance, see which stories get traction and paid for proromote them and try and replicate these one) respond to all comments within 24 hours but preferably within 2 hours, do not be agressive or defensive in what you post no matter the provocation, the internet is full of trolls. Try and get as many local users to like and share your page, videos and stories as possible.

When I ran a home visit music school we relied on seo on google and we did quite well, we tried many other promotional ideas but none came close to the ROI.

When we tried Facebook a few years later we were getting double the signups within 3 months without having spent a penny. When we combined a good Facebook campaign with promoting our most popular posts with a £100 to £200 monthly budget we were getting 5 to 6 times the number of new pupils per month. If you are passionate about your business area creating the stories, posts, funding interesting links to share, and creating the videos can be fun. Definitely more enjoyable than seo.

I still use yell/hibo and have for many years and have no complaints regarding the volume of work obtained.Saying that,a few years I did try other internet sites for work and couldn't cope with the amount of work I was offered,this is the way to get work.I would strongly recommend a web site to anyone just starting out and facebook etc,you will soon build a good customer base.Good luck with your venture,its always hard in the beginning but you will get back what you put into it.

I believe google ad-words would be the most effective way of marketing a business such as yours. If you would like to discuss further please let me know.

I've got a free advert in Yell and I'll be lucky if I get one enquiry a year, I once did have a ad on which I did pay for at one point but I never got anything from that. So for me it was a total waste of money.

Register with these free ones and make sure your website is set-up for SEO.

I paid for Yell for a year when I first started out and it was a waste of money. Make sure you give them plenty of notice to end your contract.

I now focus on Google Adwords, facebook and a little bit of Twitter, The first two work - the second one - I wait and see but it def raises your profile