Housing Association tenant- unable to buy

Hi All,

My friend has a problem, she is leaving in Council flat from over 3 years and 5 month and she told me that she can not buy the flat even according Right to Buy has been changed years from 5 years to 3 years. She told that because the building is too young (was build after 1 April 1997) and she is as association tenant she will never buy the flat. She is a litter disappointed because she moved into to dirty with fungus flat and had to invest a lot of money, monthly rent and bills cost her 750.00. Now she is shocked because Landlord - Housing Association Group told her to move out because never will buy it. Somebody could advice, if she could go to the court could be win ? Thank you for advice.

So is the property currently owned by a Local authority or by a Housing association?

Your post is not clear on this point.

And why does she have to move out, too?

Hello,

She applied to Council but did not know that get the flat in Housing Association Group. When she applied to buy RTB then find out that association tenant not obligated to buy property at all, because of the social housing grant 1 April 1997. And because they a private institution and will not sell the property because of losing the value of the property. She tough that if she applied to the council will buy the property after 5 years or changed time now 3 years.

What I was trying to say that it is cheating people, not a to force to sell, poor people renting the property by 5 years where you tried as your home and after this they kick you ass from the property or you will pay the value which after 5 years is doubled for example: 50 000 costed 3 year ago and now 100 000. So this is cheating and not playing right even you will apply to the same institution Council.

Selling the council houses to people cheap is cheating everyone else. Why should your friend get a cheap house?? They already get cheap rent, if that house is sold nobody else can live in it.

What I was trying to say that it is cheating people, not a to force to sell, poor people renting the property by 5 years where you tried as your home and after this they kick you ass from the property or you will pay the value which after 5 years is doubled for example: 50 000 costed 3 year ago and now 100 000. So this is cheating and not playing right even you will apply to the same institution Council.

It's not cheating at all, what a strange mindset! No one forced your friend into social housing, if someone wishes to become a homeowner, then they can buy a property on the open market just like others have to do. There are plenty of relatively cheap houses in Sheffield and surrounding areas.

Your friend is fortunate to have a secure tenancy at a much lower rent than would be charged by a private landlord. in my opinion, the Right to Buy should be phased out now given the general shortage of social housing.

It's not cheating at all, what a strange mindset! No one forced your friend into social housing, if someone wishes to become a homeowner, then they can buy a property on the open market just like others have to do. There are plenty of relatively cheap houses in Sheffield and surrounding areas.

Your friend is fortunate to have a secure tenancy at a much lower rent than would be charged by a private landlord. in my opinion, the Right to Buy should be phased out now given the general shortage of social housing.

Agreed the act should never have been bought in the first place // Lots of children bought the council house there parents live in for a pittance / parents died now they rent the house out or sell it :loopy::hihi:

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 10:29 ----------

My MY / What a great country to live in bet you love it here / Are you on housing benefit as well

Edited by spider1

Agreed the act should never have been bought in the first place // Lots of children bought the council house there parents live in for a pittance / parents died now they rent the house out or sell it :loopy::hihi:

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 10:29 ----------

My MY / What a great country to live in bet you love it here / Are you on housing benefit as well

Many working people claim housing benefit too and if the op friend was unemployed I doubt they would be in a position to buy would they.

You comment reeks of bigotry........:rolleyes:

Many working people claim housing benefit too and if the op friend was unemployed I doubt they would be in a position to buy would they.

You comment reeks of bigotry........:rolleyes:

My MY i new you would jump on that mafya :hihi:

I let several properties and know how the sytemn works some people are never satisfied

They even got Jeffery Shaw in a tangle so i dont know how housing office can sort them out

Edited by spider1

Hi All,

My friend has a problem, she is leaving in Council flat from over 3 years and 5 month and she told me that she can not buy the flat even according Right to Buy has been changed years from 5 years to 3 years. She told that because the building is too young (was build after 1 April 1997) and she is as association tenant she will never buy the flat.

A relative of mine was in the same situation, but they told her that the would move her into another house, that she could buy.