Is society dysfunctional?

Do existing social values, our legal system, and our general valuing of money over humanity, help contribute to creating a dysfunctional and disharmonious society?

Is there a cause effect relationship, between social structures, rules, laws etc, and the creation of violent anti-social individuals.

To my way of thinking, people who want to work and improve themselves, should have the opportunity to do so, and should not be hindered by individuals who want to live in a chaotic anti-social manner, and cause trouble for everyone else.

The way we (as a society) deal with people like that, needs to such, that it deters other people from behaving in the same way. At the same time, we also need to ensure that people have ample opportunity to work on themselves, and make life better, both for themself and their communitues.

That's what I think. I imagine it's not so clear cut and simple as that though..

In some ways yes. However people will always be different and in the simplest of terms there will always be good people and bad people. There will always be conflict between these two groups of people. Society can make some people bad but others are just that way inclined.

Is Miss Orange still causing bother?

LOL.

Well, Miss Orange is a separate, although, kinda related issue. :)

In some ways yes. However people will always be different and in the simplest of terms there will always be good people and bad people. There will always be conflict between these two groups of people. Society can make some people bad but others are just that way inclined.

But it seems so obvious to me, that society should be structured so as to encourage constructive behavior, and discourage destructive unwholesome behavior.

Yet, it clearly isn't working out that way, and there is dysfunction and corruption, seemingly at all levels of society.

But it seems so obvious to me, that society should be structured so as to encourage constructive behavior, and discourage destructive unwholesome behavior.

Yet, it clearly isn't working out that way, and there is dysfunction and corruption, seemingly at all levels of society.

Society has always been dysfunctional, because people will always defy pigeonholing. We are not all the same, and not always predictable.

It's no more or less dysfunctional than it's ever been. I daresay perhaps it's even more functional ('egalitarian') than decades ago.

But over-mediatisation (media saturation) makes it appear ever more dysfunctional, because too much emphasis is given to the sensationalist, and ever less to analysis (unbiased or not).

I blame Media Empires and t'Interweb :twisted:

Society is messed up. There is no general consensus or aim of where society should be. People are more interested in money than mans well being. When it coems to mans well being, it is often his own financial status the he considers first???

What about good health, good values and a good community?

If we were to take all the wealth in England and distribute it evenly amongst its entire adult population and let them use it as they wished, would it rid what your perception of

dysfunctionality is?

It is my guess that society would decrease in that regard and that peoples inbred values would change. I think that 15 or so years after the "share out" we would be in a worse state than we are now.

I agree, and I think because we value money and profit above all else, we create all kinds of messed up situations. In reality, money has no basis, it's entirely a human created abstraction. Yet, it's hard to survive these days, without it; everyone has bought in to the concept of money, it's etched on the consciousness of humanity, like a piece of crud that needs washing away by the rain..

I wonder if humanity will ever move past money? There has to be a better way of living, of organizing ourselves, so that the activities we engage in are better aligned with our inner purpose, what we feel is right and correct behavior, and who we are as people.

I wonder if humanity will ever move past money? There has to be a better way of living, of organizing ourselves, so that the activities we engage in are better aligned with our inner purpose, what we feel is right and correct behavior, and who we are as people.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs perhaps?

England will never survive without money. Money is the means by which the ruling classes control us. They have most of the money and we fight for the scraps from the rich mans table. We were invaded in 1066 and all the land got stolen. The ones who stole it still have most of it!

There are of course exceptions to every rule, but I think that my generalisation holds good. There is a geezer now who still sits in the house of lords who can trace his ancestry back to one of the original invaders in 1066!

Edited by Tom Cobley