Water as a human right

I have just ben listening to Mark Tomas online and he had a bit in his show about bottled water. He was saying that fresh, clean, drinking water is a human right. It is actually in the bill of human rights. We in this country are lucky enough that we can turn on a tap at home and get clean drinking water whereas people in other countries cannot. He also pointed out that the government has allowed big businesses to make money out of bottled water. They make millions out of selling us something we have as a basic human right

(As a side comment he also reminded the audience that coca cola were busted a few years back for selling what was in effect tap water.)

My questions are these....

Should big business be allowed to make money out of us by selling us a human right while that same human right is denied to millions of people in poorer countries?

If big business are allowed to sell us bottled water shouldn't they be forced to reinvest a percentage of that profit into providing water to poor countries?

Water is a basic right..like many other things. Your not being sold "a basic right" as such, your being sold the technology that gets the water to the tap....that takes time and investment. As for Cola or bottled whatever...don't buy it if you have an issue with it. If you dig deep enough you can even avoid waterboard bills.

Should big business be allowed to make money out of us by selling us a human right while that same human right is denied to millions of people in poorer countries?

If big business are allowed to sell us bottled water shouldn't they be forced to reinvest a percentage of that profit into providing water to poor countries?

Yes business should be allowed to make money from selling us water. When I go on a long train journey or I'm out and about away from home, when I'm thirsty I buy a bottle of water because I want water and not Coke or Pepsi. If business were not allowed to make money from selling water, they would not sell it at all and so my choice of drink would be restricted to having to buy something like Coke or Pepsi even though I'd rather have water.

Water is a human necessity, we need it to survive. To say it is a human right suggests that somebody somewhere is obliged to make sure everybody has access to it. You also suggest that people are being consciously denied access to water. I don't buy into that. If people in Africa live far far away from water sources, how is that my fault, the UK's fault, Europes fault or the developed world's fault? Nobody has the power to dictate where it rains or where the rivers will flow (or possibly God).

Companies that bottle and sell water making a charitable donation wouldn't be a bad thing, but where do we stop. I go to the optician and dentist and have to pay for treatment that many in the world don't have access to. Should both my dentist and optician make charitable donations? Should Hovis and Warburtons make a donation on every loaf of bread we buy?

I have just ben listening to Mark Tomas online and he had a bit in his show about bottled water. He was saying that fresh, clean, drinking water is a human right. It is actually in the bill of human rights. We in this country are lucky enough that we can turn on a tap at home and get clean drinking water whereas people in other countries cannot. He also pointed out that the government has allowed big businesses to make money out of bottled water. They make millions out of selling us something we have as a basic human right

(As a side comment he also reminded the audience that coca cola were busted a few years back for selling what was in effect tap water.)

Firstly, business is not selling you a human right. As you have said, you already have access to clean safe drinking water through your tap. They are selling you convenience, packaging, labels etc.

Businesses are taxed on their profits and a proportion of that tax revenue is spent in the governments aid budget. Most responsible businesses also have a charitable programme.

If you don't want to buy bottled water just turn on your tap and get it for free.

That's the joy of capitalism, you can choose whether to buy or not. Why do you find it so confusing?

Of course they should be allowed to make money.

Would you start a business, employ hundreds of people, spend money on packaging only to give away the product? You'd be bust by the afternoon... Someone needs to pay for it, and unless the government awards the company a huge amount of money to cover overheads then how else can it be done?

I have just ben listening to Mark Tomas online and he had a bit in his show about bottled water. He was saying that fresh, clean, drinking water is a human right.

I wouldn't take any notice of Mark Thomas. He's an unfunny loony leftie "comedian" who can't stand the idea that businesses should be allowed to make money. People like that want shooting.

If you don't want to buy bottled water just turn on your tap and get it for free.

That's the joy of capitalism, you can choose whether to buy or not. Why do you find it so confusing?

But (devils advocate) if the water that is bottled, or used to make coca cola, or other drinks comes from an area with water shortages anyway, the people in that country cannot always chose to move somewhere where water is more plentiful.

Please dont jump on me, I'm not being loony, I'm just asking :D

But (devils advocate) if the water that is bottled, or used to make coca cola, or other drinks comes from an area with water shortages anyway, the people in that country cannot always chose to move somewhere where water is more plentiful.

Please dont jump on me, I'm not being loony, I'm just asking :D

Why would any company, wishing to make a profit, set up a water bottling plant in a place with water shortages?

Why would any company, wishing to make a profit, set up a water bottling plant in a place with water shortages?

Some campaigners say that coca cola bottling plants and the like cause pollution and water shortage in India.

Of course I have no way of independently verifying whether this is true.

some stuff off reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE52900K20090310

Some campaigners say that coca cola bottling plants and the like cause pollution and water shortage in India.

Of course I have no way of independently verifying whether this is true.

some stuff off reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSTRE52900K20090310

Seems to me that the shortages mentioned in the article were caused by climate change, and business and consumers alike are suffering. Of course I'm not suggesting that business should take precedence over ordinary consumers either!

Seems to me that the shortages mentioned in the article were caused by climate change, and business and consumers alike are suffering. Of course I'm not suggesting that business should take precedence over ordinary consumers either!

Yes it does look like that. However I bet Coca Cola are still pushing ahead with applications for plants in places where it would affect the local population. As they are allowed to do, I guess.

Its just the cynic in me that says its probably easier and cheaper for them to ride roughshod over the rights of the local population in Kerala, than it would be in America or Europe.

I dont really know where I'm going with this actually and its not what the thread is supposed to be about...in answer to OP, no bottled water companies dont have a responsibility to provide developing countries with water and if people are stupid enough to buy water, let them :confused: