Started warfarin

hi, im hoping to come out of shef.N.G this wknd. iv been in with blood clot effecting my left arm. after 12 days things are better. im 41 now on warfarin. can anyone give me their experiences on this , good or bad ? thank you

The rat in our house didn't fare too well.

:hihi:

But good luck with your slightly lower dose.

:thumbsup:

hi, im hoping to come out of shef.N.G this wknd. iv been in with blood clot effecting my left arm. after 12 days things are better. im 41 now on warfarin. can anyone give me their experiences on this , good or bad ? thank you

I had a DVT at the back of my knee, probably linked to lots of sports injuries to my knee, in my younger years. I was on warfarin for nearly a year before coming off, no ill effects. However within a month the DVT returned and i've been back on it ever since.

This was 12 months ago and i'm due for a scan in December to get the all clear. If all ok i'll be off the warfarin, if not then i've been told i'll be on it for life.

My INR has levelled out, so i'm now on blood tests every 2 months, as initially these are a pain as they're so often.

Good luck with the treatment, i'm 45 by the way.

Makes no difference really I have been taking it for the last 18 years or so and am on it for life. Only thing is think before you might do something that could be harmful. For example I had been asked to go paintballing so asked the nurse who asked the doctor and they said wouldn't recommend it. You will be fine just make sure you check any medication before taking it, if in doubt ask the pharmacist when buying things such as cough mixture. Drink in moderation :hihi: as this can affect the INR level.

Hiya!! You should be given plenty of info on your warfarin. I know it can sound scary if you read all the possible side effects etc but many people get on fine with it - and not taking definately outweighs the risks. As its a dvt you should only (hopefully) be taking it for 3-6 months.Dont go on any crash diets, or go binge drinking as these can both affect how your body absorbs the warfarin. Be careful when you're gardening, or shaving with a disposable razor as both can casue cuts which tend to bleed a bit more when you're taking warfarin. Just common sense really. The INR clinic will be able to answer any questions when you go see them. As someone said earlier ask the pharmacist if there's one around before you leave. It's their job to counsel you on your medication before you leave hospital xx

my uncle was on it for clot in his leg no side effects at all goes for blood test but feels great

You'll be fine. Obey the prescription, go for the blood tests, eat sensibly and that's it.

I was on warfarin for two years in similar circumstances to Gripper following a bad knee injury.

The main thing is to be very careful with alcohol - this also acts as an anti-coagulant. Too much combined with the warfarin could cause internal bleeding.

I really feel for you that are taking warfarin, But good advice has been given and you should take heed ! I'm in a similar situation, that I have to take a tablet everyday for the rest of my life, not unlike your predicaments, I have to take Ramipril every day or my blood pressure goes ballistic and I get really disorientated and dizzy. (Dont go there mockers ;)) Worst BP reading ever was 171/119 :wow: That makes me remember my tablet everyday without fail ;)