Triangular wheel

I've proved to myself by going to the Co-op and buying a pair of compasses that it's perfectly possible to have a triangular wheel (or any shaped) with perfect motion . Everyone thinks I'm daft and laughs at me!... I know I'm right ..I've proved it! Anyone know about this stuff?

I've worked out a way in my imagination how to make gold out salt.

I've worked out a way in my imagination how to make gold out salt.

Oh ho ho ho you non believer! Everyone knows gold is made out of cornflakes! 'Cornflakes' being a particularly interesting subject in themselves! My triangular wheel will prevail ! :(

I've proved to myself by going to the Co-op and buying a pair of compasses that it's perfectly possible to have a triangular wheel (or any shaped) with perfect motion . Everyone thinks I'm daft and laughs at me!... I know I'm right ..I've proved it! Anyone know about this stuff?

I think you may have had 1 too many "lemondaes"- your name gave the game away :hihi:

Oh ho ho ho you non believer! Everyone knows gold is made out of cornflakes! 'Cornflakes' being a particularly interesting subject in themselves! My triangular wheel will prevail ! :(

But it's the salt in the cornflakes that is the acctive ingredient.And I was about to say that when I have perfected my process(in my imagination) I will need some form of transport to carry the gold to Jacks bean market in order to make my fortune.As the market is at the bottom of Greystones Rd I am going to need a cart with wheels of an unusual shape in order to prevent the heavily laden vehicle from running away down the hill and squandering my valuable cargo.Any ideas?

It's possible to design a wheel with any odd number of sides, that has an exactly equal diameter at all points. (The 50p and 20p coins are examples of 7-sided objects that do this. Try placing a piece of card on top of one and rolling it along a flat surface - the card does not bounce up and down in the slightest.)

If, then, you have the body being carried placed on top of the wheels, it will remain perfectly steady. If you attach the wheels to an axle, it will not. If you attach triangular wheels to an axle, you'll have the most bumpy ride it's possible to get.

In the lat 70's & early 80's there were 2 shows on American TV, That's Incredible & Real People. One of them had a segment on bicycles with triangular wheels (I think they were built by a university class). They used a class of triangle called a Reuleaux triangle.

Reuleaux triangles are equidistant from the center so wheels made in this way are surprisingly smooth to the uninitiated viewer.

You can find more on them by searching Wikipedia.

Alco, I think I may have entered the wrong type of rich tea biscuit into the biscombooberator and appeared on your thead again ?? Will you please send me the schematic on the big green dial next to the triangular purple one that looks somewhat like an Ucrianium wheel ;) Much obliged fellow scientist ;)