Problems with downloading Windows Updates *Now sorted*

I have the disc supplied by Epson for their SX115 printer and tried to use it for installing. But it stopped responding half way through. I then became aware (I forget how) that Windows Explorer had stopped, presumably this being the cause. So I tried updating windows. After running for 7 hours during which time I was given no idea how the updating was going, I decided to stop the process and look for updating process faults. As soon as I started this it started looking for updating faults online, presumably this time for those related to why the process was failing, not more general ones. I've got Windows 7. I've read the similar threads on this subject but couldn't find a suggestion/idea about what to do to solve the problem. Can anyone help please?

Mikes 10 thank you very much. It looks like a very useful post. I'll certainly give it a try. What a great forum this is!!! There is just one thing however, I found no option for Software Distribution File. Do you know if it has an alternative name?

Edited by woolyhead

Mikes 10 thank you very much. It looks like a very useful post. I'll certainly give it a try. What a great forum this is!!! There is just one thing however, I found no option for Software Distribution File. Do you know if it has an alternative name?

It's a folder inside your Windows folder.

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\

YMMV, I've seen various reasons Windows Update won't work. Post back here if you have further issues, as there are various workarounds.

Oh yes, thanks Lastnet IT. But which parts of it should I delete, Mikes 10?

Well, I'm not particularly recommending you do so (I'm fairly sure Microsoft's advice would be not to delete anything in the Windows folder unless you know what you're doing).

If you want to try something a little less drastic you could try the Windows Update Troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

If you can't see the 'SoftwareDistribution' folder it maybe hidden ( although I'm almost sure it normally visible ).

Anyway go to control Panel > folder options, select the View tab

In the window labeled Advanced settings, several items from the top, click 'Show hidden files, folders and drives'

If not greyed out click Apply, click OK.

I've been trying it out Mikes10. Unfortunately "show hidden files" was already done. One of the possible actions mentioned earlier on this forum was to delete or rename the software distribution folder. Maybe someone has already renamed it? I've been looking at the descriptions of each entry to find a likely candidate but can't find one. The only vaguely similar names I could find were software protection, distributed transactions and distributed link tracking client but it's neither of these. Lastnet IT I'm still having problems. Can you help me a bit more please?

---------- Post added 17-12-2016 at 12:17 ----------

Lastnet IT I'm still having problems. Can you help me a bit more please?

Edited by woolyhead

Lastnet IT I'm still having problems. Can you help me a bit more please?

Did you try to run the troubleshooter I posted above? If not, follow this link, click "Windows 7", download the file (WindowsUpdate.diagcab), double click it to run, and give it time to complete: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

I've generally found it a bit hit and miss, but it's a bit safer than advising you to delete folders if you're not confident.

Please post again if there are any issues.

Hi Wooly,

I've been busy with lots of issues...

Anyway, I have W7 laptop I use as a test machine for various bits of software, and then re-image when finished.

For the hell of it I deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder(SD) and restarted the computer just to see what would happen.

The folder was automatically recreated, and obtained windows updates.

To delete the SD folder takes some serious effort, I suspect you may have malware running and/or several system files are corrupt.

Below is a link on how to use the System File Checker to verify the integrity of your system

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Lastnet IT I'm sorry I didn't run it before but now I've run it. Anyway I was about to try windows updates again when I decided to look at the settings to see what the link had done. All it seems to have done was switch to Automatic and I've already tried that, unsuccessfully. So what now? Mikes I have used Malwarebytes and also Reimage which replaced several files that were dodgey and repaired several others. Wouldn't that be enough repairing and replacing of files? Malwarebytes now finds the PC clear of faults of this kind. Anyway I'll use your link and let you both know what happens. It's complicated to use but I'm sure I can manage it. Just one more thing...in my case it's not that the software distribution folder was reloaded but that when I looked for it it wasn't there. I wonder why yours was reloaded though? One thing I haven't tried yet is to clean the lens. Thanks again to both for your interest. Please stay tuned.

Edited by woolyhead

There's a (recently updated) Microsoft page on fixing this which will walk you through several steps: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/10164/fix-windows-update-errors

TBH, they pretty much suggest troubleshooting your connection, running the file you already tried, and either reinstalling or resetting Windows. A System Restore could work I suppose, although it isn't something I've tried (to fix this problem).

Did you try Mike10's suggestion?