British Gymnast Banned For "Mocking" Religion

Olympic silver medallist Louis Smith has been banned for two months for mocking Islam.

Now , it dosnt matter what religion he mocked , the issue here is why he was banned at all. We are on a very slippery slope if people cannot mock religion . This sets a very dangerous precedent . For me , religion - ALL RELIGION should be fair game to be mocked and ridiculed, it should not be protected from ridicule .

This story is in all the papers ,so not just a Daily Mail story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3893792/Olympic-star-Louis-Smith-banned-British-Gymnastics-leaked-video-appearing-mock-Islam.html

Olympic silver medallist Louis Smith has been banned for two months for mocking Islam.

Now , it dosnt matter what religion he mocked , the issue here is why he was banned at all. We are on a very slippery slope if people cannot mock religion . This sets a very dangerous precedent . For me , religion - ALL RELIGION should be fair game to be mocked and ridiculed, it should not be protected from ridicule .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-3893792/Olympic-star-Louis-Smith-banned-British-Gymnastics-leaked-video-appearing-mock-Islam.html

I watched this on TV, the Christian and Jewish spokespeople both agreed that everyone should be free to mock religion, and opposed the punishment, the Muslim agreed with the exception of Islam which should not be mocked, he thought the punishment was acceptable.

He is a role model to others so shouldn't really behave like this.....

well getting banned is probably the least of his worries.

Receiving death threats for laughing at religion is disgusting , The people who issued the threats need to chill out . Its only religion , its not life or death .

---------- Post added 04-11-2016 at 17:33 ----------

I watched this on TV, the Christian and Jewish spokespeople both agreed that everyone should be free to mock religion, and opposed the punishment, the Muslim agreed with the exception of Islam which should not be mocked, he thought the punishment was acceptable.

So why should Islam be a special case. ?

So the muslim basically said its ok to mock religion as long as its not Islam. ?

He is a role model to others so shouldn't really behave like this.....

Why ? whats wrong with ridiculing religion ?

We have the MOBO awards,can you imagine if we :) ad the MOWO.world's crazy.

Very stupid thing to do .

Receiving death threats for laughing at religion is disgusting , The people who issued the threats need to chill out . Its only religion , its not life or death .

So why should Islam be a special case. ?

So the muslim basically said its ok to mock religion as long as its not Islam. ?

Why ? whats wrong with ridiculing religion ?

Apparently because Muslims are the victims of Islamophobia and anyone mocking Islam is Islamophobic, the interviewer pointed out that his position would make matters worse for Muslims.

Apparently because Muslims are the victims of Islamophobia and anyone mocking Islam is Islamophobic, the interviewer pointed out that his position would make matters worse for Muslims.

Its makes him hypocritical at the very least.

---------- Post added 04-11-2016 at 18:42 ----------

Very stupid thing to do .

Why ?

Why should religion be protected from ridicule ?

Its makes him hypocritical at the very least.

---------- Post added 04-11-2016 at 18:42 ----------

Why ?

Why should religion be protected from ridicule ?

Talking about hypocritical, a catholic priest as just said that the press trades in fear when it come to immigration, it is my understanding that most religions trades in fear by claiming people will go to hell if they don't behave.

Well, the story was also discussed on Newsnight between a Muslim comedian and a non-Muslim writer and (I think) rights activist of some kind.

The Muslim comedian said whilst he thought what Smith did was offensive he didn't agree with the ban.

Well, the story was also discussed on Newsnight between a Muslim comedian and a non-Muslim writer and (I think) rights activist of some kind.

The Muslim comedian said whilst he thought what Smith did was offensive he didn't agree with the ban.

I have no doubt at all that many Muslims think his ban is also over the top, but I also have no doubt that many would like to see him beheaded for mocking Islam.