Plane over ladybower

I was wondering if anyone could shine some light on this. I was at ladybower reservoir trying to photograph the milky way last night when about 8:30 a big old looking propeller plane flew from the direction of snakes pass and over the reservoir very low. I had my camera on a 20 second exposure so all I got was light trails. I've asked on a group on facebook if anyone was up there and saw it with no one yet seeing anything I've been told it can't be a Lancaster bomber as it's getting serviced at the minute so if anyone knows what kind of plane it was or also saw it I would really appreciate letting me know because I think people think I'm nuts

sounds like something alcoblog might have.i know he"s involved in locating some fish which have disappeared from a pond in matlock..just a thought.

You say it was big, someone mentioned the Lancaster, so the only thing of that size would have to be a Hercules, most likely of the R.A.F.

There are no large propellor driven aircraft around at the moment, especially in private hands (not military).

You say it was big, someone mentioned the Lancaster, so the only thing of that size would have to be a Hercules, most likely of the R.A.F.

There are no large propellor driven aircraft around at the moment, especially in private hands (not military).

Apart from … 'The Loose Moose' (AB211) … seen here parking on Millhouses boating pond.

Someone just said It was a hercules doing a low level sortie across the country a group on facebook has been following it

maybe a ghost plane, many crashed on kinder scout, during ww2 apparently the terrain affected there navigation systems, which may be a better explanation.

Their was or still is two books about planes that crashed in the High Peak in pre war, wartime and post war eras . It is said that ghosts of planes and pilots roam the moors at night. I will let you make up your own minds up on that one.

makes a change from mad monks,and headless kings and queens.

It was very likely a Hercules. They often do training exercises through the valley.

I saw an Hercules flying up the Longdendale Valley earlier in the year,it was pretty impressive and was a much bigger plane than i expected it to be.They are photographed quite often flying low through valleys.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=hercules+flying+up+valley&view=detailv2&&id=B6F3998B92BFA43C343966765A8A2A91DC55CDD7&selectedIndex=11&ccid=BZWUPkSF&simid=607995103497751766&thid=OIP.M0595943e4485ccefad4d635591cbef76o0&ajaxhist=0

.....photograph the milky way....s

You must have a bloody big camera as it's over 100,000 light years wide.

The Atlas is bigger than the Hercules.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/a400m-atlas-aircraft-07072015