Sick pay and GP “fit notes”

The system of sick pay and GP “fit notes” is to be reviewed by the government, as Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, highlighted the growing cost of long-term sickness to the NHS and suggested getting people back to work had major benefits for health.

The review will be announced in a draft consultation document published by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on Monday, which will also examine changes to the controversial work capability assessments (WCA) undergone by disabled people in order to obtain welfare.

Does anyone have experience of these fit notes?

Hardly had any time off work myself. I know of one colleague claiming that she cannot do her job because of arthritis, yet other workers have visibly bent fingers due to arthritis, and they manage perfectly ok.

I am starting to get arthritis myself, but I am hoping it will not affect my work.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/31/sick-pay-and-work-assessments-to-be-reviewed-jeremy-hunt-reveals

Iv said this many a time if the government had not closed Remploy down disabled people like myself more than likely would have got a job their. No mainstream employer is willing to set on disabled people it cost more money also why employ someone with an health conditions when you can an young healthy person for that job? Yes in an ideal world everyone should be given an chance but we don't live in that world. Iv never known an government who is so anti disabled it never stops also disabled people like myself have to put up with abuse or like what happened recently I was threatened by an person who Iv never spoken or met before no wounder some disabled people end up killing themselves.

Edited by crookedspire

They've also cut the amount of money payable to employers to make adjustments for disabled employees. It makes no sense if the aim is to get people off benefits into work.

Look!

If the government says you are not poorly, then you are not poorly!

(at least that is the way it's going to be VERY soon)

The likes of Channel 5 and the Daily Mail have been working hand in hand with the present government for YEARS to discredit anyone who is disadvantaged in life (regardless of why).

So being ill will soon be no excuse for being alive.

Shame the government don't have to jump through so many hoops before they can tax 30%+ before you get paid, then take 20% more on everything you spend, then tax you on fuel, and put VAT on the tax you spent on it.

innit?

Look!

If the government says you are not poorly, then you are not poorly!

(at least that is the way it's going to be VERY soon)

The likes of Channel 5 and the Daily Mail have been working hand in hand with the present government for YEARS to discredit anyone who is disadvantaged in life (regardless of why).

So being ill will soon be no excuse for being alive.

Shame the government don't have to jump through so many hoops before they can tax 30%+ before you get paid, then take 20% more on everything you spend, then tax you on fuel, and put VAT on the tax you spent on it.

innit?

Very ture. Iv posted in the disability section of this forum about the changes the government want to do I'm very concerned about changes to the appeals for both ESA and PIP its bad enough going though the process of claiming without the extra pressure of having to know the legal system. I think it has gone too far now I really do think the country is heading to an dark place.

I have a hand/tendon injury; I got a 4 week sick note from the hospital, but it gave no details about what I should, and should not do, in relation to work.

I have left a message with the hospital, and have got to phone the GP tomorrow; as my employer wants more details.

I want to work, but who decides? I have cut my lawn, with one hand, but I cannot really drive my works vehicle with one hand.

I had the tendon(little finger) repaired more than 2 weeks ago, I feel ok, but I dont want to over do it ;)

I had to have my appendix removed when I worked for the police and wasn't allowed back to work until I'd seen my doctor for a 'fit note'. I was supposed to have 6 weeks off work but went to see my doctor after 10 days and said that I'd may as well have stomach ache sat being productive at work rather than have stomach ache bored at home. It took a lot of convincing and promising I wouldn't be lifting/carrying etc etc and he did agree to me going back, but without that apparently the police couldn't have allowed me back to work!!

I had to have my appendix removed when I worked for the police and wasn't allowed back to work until I'd seen my doctor for a 'fit note'. I was supposed to have 6 weeks off work but went to see my doctor after 10 days and said that I'd may as well have stomach ache sat being productive at work rather than have stomach ache bored at home. It took a lot of convincing and promising I wouldn't be lifting/carrying etc etc and he did agree to me going back, but without that apparently the police couldn't have allowed me back to work!!

But many employers won't allow a worker back on modified work unless the injury or illness is work related, at least that's how it is over here. You are lucky working for the police as my daughter was, as a paramedic ,when she had an accident at home, but lot's of employers won't do it.