Electrical Advice? Please!

Ok...here's my problem. When I moved into my house there were a pair of coach lantern type lights outside illuminating the decking. They were connected to one switch indoors. Press the light switch indoors and they both came on.

I decided to replace them with LED type flood lights which both had PIR sensors. These lamps were not cheap and cost me £40+ each. (as added info, I think they were 20 watts each in terms of power rating)

At first they seemed to work fine. Step outside the doors after dusk and on the came on for the programmed set time, and turned off again. Job well done!

However, lately they have begun to misbehave and occasionally switch on, and don't turn themselves off again. I have to go to the switch, turn it off for a few seconds and then turn them back on again.

Now if one or the other was faulty, I could understand one or the other failing, but when it happens, they both come on together and both don't switch off....Until I reset them manually by switching it off via the switch and turning it back on again.

Anyone who has got a security light will tell you that, there 'is' a manual override setting, which is activated by turning the lights off (via the switch) and immediately turning them back on again. This makes the lights stay on permanently until you turn them off...Leave it for a few seconds and turn them back on, which reactivates the automatic mode.

Are you seeing the pattern here?

I'm wondering if somehow, (and I have no idea how) my electricity supply sometimes 'blips' imperceptibly, thus triggering the 'manual mode'. I don't have a problem with flickering lights or unexplained momentary outages elsewhere in the house, and we're not on a prepay electric meter.

But this is the only explanation I can logically come up with to explain them 'both' coming on and not going off automatically again.

So my question is: Is there a way to test my hypothesis? Is there something I can buy and fit, to stop any 'spiking'.

I need to sort this out, as sometimes the damn things stay on all night and they obviously cost money to run, albeit not as much as if they were conventional security lights, but it's a bit pointless having security lights that don't do their job.

Incidentally, the dusk to dawn setting seems to work regardless.

Do you have anyone nearby using a radio transmitter? Secuirty guards at the local shops, CB user or radio amateur nearby?

Are they from B&Q?

They make tat.

Do you have anyone nearby using a radio transmitter? Secuirty guards at the local shops, CB user or radio amateur nearby?

Not that I'm aware of...No nearby shops, no security patrols or anything like that...I can't say I've noticed any tall ariels or evidence of amateur radio enthusiasts in my locality, but of course that's more difficult to 'know'...

Are they from B&Q?

They make tat.

No they were bought From where I work...Boss bought them for me, and I paid him the money...From a very reputable supplier.

Not that I'm aware of...No nearby shops, no security patrols or anything like that...I can't say I've noticed any tall ariels or evidence of amateur radio enthusiasts in my locality, but of course that's more difficult to 'know'...

No they were bought From where I work...Boss bought them for me, and I paid him the money...From a very reputable supplier.

Are the PIRs adjustable?

It is odd that they both come on.

The only rational explanation to me Pete, is that you're infested with naughty poltergeists … they love doing pranks such as this (remember what day it is today as well). A recent central heating malfunction here at Area 51 and a Half™ turned out to be nothing more than that, having spent hundreds flummoxing plumbers and electricians alike.

Think outside the box and call in a priest! :thumbsup:

Are the PIRs adjustable?

It is odd that they both come on.

The PIR's 'are' adjustable, in so far as a timer (how long they come on for) which can be anything from about 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Also there is a dusk to dawn setting, where you can control at which point they come on at dusk (darker or lighter).

Yes it is odd they both come on in unison, which is the reason for my hypotheses above. (momentary, imperceptible dip in power)

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 14:14 ----------

The only rational explanation to me Pete, is that you're infested with naughty poltergeists … they love doing pranks such as this (remember what day it is today as well). A recent central heating malfunction here at Area 51 and a Half™ turned out to be nothing more than that, having spent hundreds flummoxing plumbers and electricians alike.

Think outside the box and call in a priest! :thumbsup:

But it's been happening for a couple of months now!...Or is there something spectacular about to happen 'tonight'? :hihi:

The PIR's 'are' adjustable, in so far as a timer (how long they come on for) which can be anything from about 10 seconds to 10 minutes. Also there is a dusk to dawn setting, where you can control at which point they come on at dusk (darker or lighter).

Yes it is odd they both come on in unison, which is the reason for my hypotheses above. (momentary, imperceptible dip in power)

---------- Post added 31-10-2016 at 14:14 ----------

But it's been happening for a couple of months now!...Or is there something spectacular about to happen 'tonight'? :hihi:

Is one of them next to an air vent?

Is one of them next to an air vent?

No..Neither is anywhere near anything that might trigger it with heat or steam...and of course surely that would only trigger one of them?..Not both in unison.

At first I had considered that the PIR's were 'over sensitive' and triggering constantly with just a whiff of wind or something. So I went back to the instructions and following 'their' advice I masked some of the PIR area to target the sensing area into specific smaller zones.

No..Neither is anywhere near anything that might trigger it with heat or steam...and of course surely that would only trigger one of them?..Not both in unison.

At first I had considered that the PIR's were 'over sensitive' and triggering constantly with just a whiff of wind or something. So I went back to the instructions and following 'their' advice I masked some of the PIR area to target the sensing area into specific smaller zones.

Hmmm sounds like the sensors have burned out then.

Hmmm sounds like the sensors have burned out then.

I don't believe they have (if that's at all possible). They work fine for a few days and then have a sort of 'spasm' and play up, as I've described.

When they're working properly, they work independently. Ie, I can walk in front of one and it comes on (as it should), then walk in front of the other, and that comes on (as it should). So I'm convinced the sensors are working properly as they should.

I could of course send them back as being faulty, but that's a bit of a ball-ache, as I'd have to take them down and disconnect the wiring, send them back, ask for replacements, and theoretically, I could end up with the same problem.

:idea:

Have you checked if a loose connection inside the switch is causing shorting? :huh: