Do you feel more or less patriotic since the EU Referendum ?

Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Since the Referendum do you feel more or less patriotic ?

• More patriotic
    • Less patriotic
    • No difference

I have always regarded myself as reasonably patriotic, though I`ve also tended to think of myself as a Sheffielder or Yorkshireman just as much as an Englishman, and, in turn, felt European just as much as I felt British (except when watching a sporting event ! ). But, since the Referendum result with a majority (albeit a narrow majority) voting to leave the EU, I have to say I feel less patriotic than I did before. I feel less of a connection with my country and that my views basically don`t count for anything. I`d have thought those who voted for Brexit may well feel more patriotic, but I could be wrong. What I`ve found most surprising post Referendum is the fact that the those in favour of leaving the EU aren`t the only ones with strong feelings on the issue. That never came out before the poll, but it is doing so now.

Similarly I`d expect a majority to vote on here* to say they feel more patriotic, but again, I could be wrong.

The fallout from Brexit is indeed more serious and reaching corners that weren`t really foreseen, all for something most people weren`t that bothered about only 15 months before the Referendum. Less than 15% of voters put Europe in their top three of concerns !

* Particularly as the pre Referendum polling intentions vote on SF had a stronger majority for Leave than the actual national poll result. It was even further in error relative to the Sheffield result

How the UK was fractured (demographically) in the referendum.

Edited by Justin Smith

I feel ashamed that the image we're projecting to the world is of right wing narrow mindedness, and of being a country where hate crime is allowed to grow. We're better than this.

It doesn't make me proud.

I feel ashamed that the image we're projecting to the world is of right wing narrow mindedness, and of being a country where hate crime is allowed to grow. We're better than this.

I feel similarly. Which is why I feel less patriotic, I`d assume you feel the same ?

indeed, what a shallow, hateful, narrow minded piece of slime we have become :(

I feel similarly. Which is why I feel less patriotic, I`d assume you feel the same ?

I do feel less patriotic yes.

Absolute nonsense. The image we are projecting to the rest of the World is we are taking back our soveriegnty. Recent elections in Germany suggest their citizens are are also unhappy with the EU. Other EU members would also vote to leave, if their citizens were given the choice.

Absolute nonsense. The image we are projecting to the rest of the World is we are taking back our soveriegnty. Recent elections in Germany suggest their citizens are are also unhappy with the EU. Other EU members would also vote to leave, if their citizens were given the choice.

It suggests to me that they're unhappy with Mrs merkel.

It suggests to me that they're unhappy with Mrs merkel.

or with the policies that mrs merkel has to follow by being in the eu :suspect:

The image we have presented to the rest of the world is that a slight majority of us dislike and resent foreigners, are unlikely to properly think and reason carefully on major globally impacting decisions even when presented with the truth, and are easily manipulated by slimy politicians and right wing media who encourage us to blame easy targets for anything remotely wrong in our lives.

indeed, what a shallow, hateful, narrow minded piece of slime we have become :(

What , because we voted to leave a self serving dictatorship in Brussels ?

What , because we voted to leave a self serving dictatorship in Brussels ?

No, because a slight majority were stupid enough to believe it was a self serving dictatorship despite being constantly corrected on the point.

The image we have presented to the rest of the world is that a slight majority of us dislike and resent foreigners, are unlikely to properly think and reason carefully on major globally impacting decisions even when presented with the truth, and are easily manipulated by slimy politicians and right wing media who encourage us to blame easy targets for anything remotely wrong in our lives.

I don't think a slight majority dislike and resent foreigners, what they dislike is the numbers that have flooded here (thanks to Townie Bliar & the corrupt EU) without any kind of plan as to where they go and the services they consume when they get here. Resent, mainly caused by giving these foreigners houses before our own folk, some it seems living on the streets (many ex forces).

Angel1.