Sign in to follow this  

Scotty Moore R-I-P

The guitar hero of guitar heroes, and the man responsible for those explosive guitar interludes on all Elvis Presley's early hits, died today at 84 years old. Rest easy and go join the King once more Scotty.

The guitar hero of guitar heroes, and the man responsible for those explosive guitar interludes on all Elvis Presley's early hits, died today at 84 years old. Rest easy and go join the King once more Scotty.

'Little Sister' was that him on lead ?

A legendary player and an influence on many other guitarists.

On the original single ,yes. Scotty played on all Elvis' hits up to 1961- ish The 2 solos on Hound Dog and again on Blue Suede Shoes were legendary to those of us who grew up at the dawn of Rock and Roll. You could ask any major rock guitarist over 68 who was their biggest influence , Scotty's name would be the first name they would mention, some of our English players would mention Hank Marvin and Vic Flick as their secondary influence.

Sad news. A great player, an icon of rock n roll.

On the original single ,yes. Scotty played on all Elvis' hits up to 1961- ish The 2 solos on Hound Dog and again on Blue Suede Shoes were legendary to those of us who grew up at the dawn of Rock and Roll. You could ask any major rock guitarist over 68 who was their biggest influence , Scotty's name would be the first name they would mention, some of our English players would mention Hank Marvin and Vic Flick as their secondary influence.

Mr.T. Thank you but how many on here would know of Vic Flick -yes his real name !- who played the original 'James Bond' theme and some would say Bert Weedon as another influence...well...

Mr.T. Thank you but how many on here would know of Vic Flick -yes his real name !- who played the original 'James Bond' theme and some would say Bert Weedon as another influence...well...

Bert Weedon was the best pre rock era guitar player England ever produced, but I put him in the Les Paul and Chet Atkins type of category, which is exalted company for sure, but more in the studio type of player , a guru for sure but not to the youth of the late 50's. Vic was firmly in, the rock era in the John Barry 7 and played on all Adam Faith's hits plus everyone else on the Parlophone label prior to the Beatles. It is a well known fact in music circles that Jimmy Page learned his guitar skills from Vic personally, and lot's more picked up his style through his recordings, ,which runs into hundreds of songs.

........I would certainly mention James Burton who also played with Presley and those great solos with Rick Nelson.Not saying he was better than Scotty, just different!

........I would certainly mention James Burton who also played with Presley and those great solos with Rick Nelson.Not saying he was better than Scotty, just different!

Oh for sure James Burton was right up there but only really came to the fore when Elvis went in the army and Rick Nelson basically replaced him for a couple of years. Scotty was already established at that point. Yes those solos were fantastic, my favourite's were the one on"I got a feeling" and on " Just a little too much". The most recent thing I saw James on was "Roy Orbison and friends, a black and white night". Outstanding show, chock full of superstars. I have it on DVD and watch it lots of times. Hard to compare James with Scotty on Elvis records as they were a decade apart. Scotty was the rock pioneer, but James was technically the better player in my opinion.

I know I have answered this already but I was wrong Hank Garland played lead on Little Sister, not Scotty. This was a period where the Svengali type manager of Elvis was playing games with the band Elvis started out with. They were on all Elvis' early hits but being paid minimum wage, and a rift developed. Scotty did play on later records than that but it was the beginning of the end.