David Cameron : the luckiest politician ever ?

Is it just me but I think Cameron must be one of the luckiest politicians, ever. [until the 23 of June 2016 ! ! ! ]

The 2010 general election : That accidentally recorded off the record remark about Gillian Duffy being "a bigot". Let`s remember 2010 was a close election, it`s quite conceivable that swung enough voters to alter the result, certainly who the Liberals could have gone into coalition with.

The Liberals breaking their solemn word on tuition fees, that more than any other thing must have cost them significant support, nobody thought them principled after that, cynical more like.

Ed Milliband being elected Labour leader rather than his brother David, on a wafer thin margin remember.

The rise of the Scots Nats, reducing Labours seat count drastically but also affecting how the electorate viewed voting for Labour who were expected to have to go into coalition with them.

Jeremy Corbyn being voted Labour leader, an event so positive for the Tories that significant numbers of them were reportedly joining Labour just so they could vote for him !

With the possible exception of the Liberals mind bendingly stupid reversal of policy on tuition fees* none of this was anything to do with Cameron. Do people really make their own luck, I think not.....

* In exchange for a vote on some form of PR so arcane that it was never going to get voted for and it also removed PR from the political map for a generation.... To be fair it could be argued that Cameron`s gamble here was skilled politics.

Edited by Justin Smith
Cameron WAS the luckiest politician ever.

that's what politics has become.

It's negative stuff. Not about what I can and will do, but about how crap I can make my opposition out to be.

Spin doctors probably spend about as much time looking and publicising opponents' mistakes than they do making sure their man looks good

The voter votes not for who he wants, but votes against who he doesn't want

Negative I know, but that's how it appears to me.

With the possible exception of the Liberals mind bendingly stupid reversal of policy on tuition fees* none of this was anything to do with Cameron. Do people really make their own luck, I think not.....
With the possible exception of the "bigot" comment, ultimately you can blame undue union influence as the root cause of all the others. Ed, Corbyn, the SNP <etc.>

Cameron is no luckier than the others. Love him or loathe him, no difference whatsoever: he's just a more skilful politician.

You don't get to head the Conservatives for 10 years -at his age- on luck.

One definition of 'luck' is when preparation meets opportunity. Another is to be born with a silver spoon in your mouth and with the right connections. Cameron's 'luck falls' into the second category.

He was 'lucky' enough to be firmly seated in a conveyor belt of privilege since birth, leading him effortlessly from Eton, to Oxford to a SPAD sinecure post at Conservative Central Office. Like most of the Tory toffs he surrounds himself with, he has never had a proper job.

He has also been lucky to have such a supine media, which has never called him properly to account for his policy failures, such as the disastrous intervention in Libya or his 'pledge' to substantially reduce net migration. Moreover, whatever the result of the forthcoming referendum on EU membership, it seems likely that Cameron will spin his way out of any embarrassing problems, aided by his mates in the media.

A lucky person is someone who has worked hard and/or skilfully manoeuvred themselves to ensure that they're in a position to take advantage of good fortune.

Ah, my bad, I thought this was going to develop into a semi-interesting debate, rather than the usual and vacuous "Tory shiny-ass toff bad, Labour graft worker good" dichotomy of old :roll:

A lucky person is someone who has worked hard and/or skilfully manoeuvred themselves to ensure that they're in a position to take advantage of good fortune.

so you not describing Cameron then :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 08-12-2015 at 17:04 ----------

Ah, my bad, I thought this was going to develop into a semi-interesting debate, rather than the usual and vacuous "Tory shiny-ass toff bad, Labour graft worker good" dichotomy of old :roll:

not be seeing anymore of your posts on here then :hihi:

so you not describing Cameron then :hihi::hihi::hihi:

I'm far from being a Cameron fan, so you're barking up the wrong tree with that one. I just believe that calling people lucky or unlucky is just a cop out, the reason behind someone's success run far deeper than simply putting it down to luck. For example Cameron's campaign took advantage of Labour's weakness spectacularly, so I don't think that his government gaining an unpredicted majority is lucky.

I'm far from being a Cameron fan, so you're barking up the wrong tree with that one. I just believe that calling people lucky or unlucky is just a cop out, the reason behind someone's success run far deeper than simply putting it down to luck. For example Cameron's campaign took advantage of Labour's weakness spectacularly, so I don't think that his government gaining an unpredicted majority is lucky.

ok glad you cleared that up :thumbsup:

He is lucky due to the fact Labour are a car crash waiting to happen with Comrade Corbyn at the wheel. Having no opposition gives the Tories and easy ride and a gimme at the next general election .

I think David Cameron was unlucky the televised leadership debates began in 2010 otherwise the Conservative party would have easily won the extra 19 seats needed for a majority .

He is lucky due to the fact Labour are a car crash waiting to happen with Comrade Corbyn at the wheel. Having no opposition gives the Tories and easy ride and a gimme at the next general election .

I don't think that the Labour leadership happened in isolation to what was going on in politics at that time. I think that the first Tory election victory since the early 1990s may have influenced it.