Conveyancing Solicitor telling porkies

Hello there, I just want some advice really on our situation. We are currently buying and selling and in the middle of a chain. From us upwards everything conveyancing wise is done as we had a sale that fell through.

Last week our buyers solicitor said that come Monday (just gone) we would be ready to exchange. Anyway after a long day of calls/emails and texts yesterday it transpires that our buyers solicitor has only instructed the searches and our buyer has only signed and paid for those. The online portal showed everything done, we even spoke to him directly and he told us it was done. He spoke to our solicitors and said everything was done. Its only come to light since our solicitors are trying to exchange with everyone...

It turns out that the buyer is going in tomorrow to do everything and pay the deposit (we hope) as I text our buyer directly...

But my main concern is, is what his solicitor doing common practice? ie tell everyone what they want to hear?

I wouldn't be too bothered but we are due to complete on the 7th, which is only a week or so away...

its a real pain, but solicitors often follow their own timetables regardless of your own requirements.

Information often gets mislaid, assistants say things to buyers that are out of date and solicitors are often very busy, managing multiple completions/exchanges every day.

Is your experience exceptional? No, but its not nice to be told one thing then find out another. You might consider writing to a partner after the sale if you feel aggrieved, but I would just ride it out until completion, chase everyday but be polite and you'll get there.

All will soon be forgotten!

Hi there, yeah I was very frustrated yesterday but i'm OK now. I certainly wouldn't raise a grievance until everything had completed. Its just with our first two sales falling through, we're a bit sceptical!

The main problem is house purchases are desperately boring for solicitors, so they only do it when they have to.

That means you always get shoved to the bottom of the pile.

If it's a conveyancing solicitor then it will be the main bulk of his work, it's not like he's going to have some exciting murder case to go and work on instead.

The solicitor for someone else doesn't work for you though, you have to remember that.

The solicitor for someone else doesn't work for you though, you have to remember that.

Whilst I totally agree on all the points people have mentioned, my main issue is with him updating the online portal with milestones and telling everyone (us, our solicitor, estate agent) involved in the sale that we are all ready to exchange but absolutely not being ready...

its a real pain, but solicitors often follow their own timetables regardless of your own requirements.

Or- far more often- "follow their own clients' specific requirements re timetables".

they are all crap rip off

do your own

and it is very easy i did my own

i was worried:confused:

and i completed with in 3 weeks it was auction property

and paid cash for it

very very cheap :)

good luck with these crap and expensive solicitors

muzzey

All searches are now electronic PDF files

that was the easy bit

this property was central

and no mining search was necassery

thanks muzzey

Muzzey didn't you come across problems when you came to send the purchase money to the seller's solicitors? How did you do your land charges searches? Have you managed to register it at Land Registry? I'm intrigued....