What is it like living in Birley?

HI everyone,

Im looking at moving house and the houses in Birley seem to be nice and at a decent price too, around Birley Moor Rd and Thornbridge Rd etc. I'm just wondering what its like to live there. Is there a reason you can get relatively large houses at 130k?

Do you get lots of trouble? Gangs, drugs etc?

What are the schools and pubs like?

Thanks in advance guys,

DK

I don't live in Birley but have been in the area did the past four years. My daughter attends the school. I think it's a nice area. There were some problems last year with burglaries but u think the same with most areas. I love living here. Pub ok. I do like the steelers sports bar xxx

Thank you for your replies, really useful.

Any more opinions would be great,

Thanks,

DK

If im totally honest with you it isnt half the estate it used to be and this is coming from a bloke who lived in the Birley area for 25+ years but have since moved out towards Grindleford due to the area getting worse.

My elderly parents still live in the area so I still call in regularly and you have the same problems as any other council estate really. Gangs loiter on corners and on the shops. Burglary and Car theft are frequent enough to have concerns about them.

That said I would still pick Birley over 75% of Sheffield if that helps you at all. The area does still have a good community spirit in certain areas and by day its a lovely place.

Thank you for your replies, really useful.

Any more opinions would be great,

Thanks,

DK

I have lived here for 20 years and it's fine. Just a normal area, improved since certain areas were rebuilt, no more problems than other areas. Close to shops and good transport links.

Edited by yorkiepudd

have lived at Birley for 15 years plus now. Nice area

very good drs, school ok reasonably quiet.

birleys not that bad to be honest but like anywhere it has it bad parts but you have to take the rough with the smooth

I've been living here for the last 6 months.

Previously I've been living in Walkley for 3 years.

To be honest with you, I can't notice any sensible difference.

I've lived in the local area for 2 years n love it here. I just don't reckon much to the senior school. Primary is ok