Sheffield Forum

Rate the last film that you've seen - part two

Home > General > Entertainment Chat

Reply To Topic

18-01-2017, 23:54   #1421
top4718

Total Posts: 7,552
Saturday Night And Sunday Morning - 7/10 - 1960 "angry young man" film adapted by Alan Sillito from his own book. Albert Finney plays Arthur Seaton a factory worker who has quite a checkered life away from the lathe, the rebellious themes are very tame by todays standards but would have packed a punch in its day.
19-01-2017, 15:34   #1422
TORONTONY

Total Posts: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
Saturday Night And Sunday Morning - 7/10 - 1960 "angry young man" film adapted by Alan Sillito from his own book. Albert Finney plays Arthur Seaton a factory worker who has quite a checkered life away from the lathe, the rebellious themes are very tame by todays standards but would have packed a punch in its day.
This was the film that gave Tony Warren the idea for Coronation Street, and made Albert Finney a star. Very stark portrayal of working class Notherners
19-01-2017, 16:43   #1423
L00b

Total Posts: 14,842
The Siege of Jadotville (2016)

A very solid 8/10, I predict this will gradually grow to become a cult war movie. It's about very little-known (or -remembered) factual events that involved the Irish army in their first-ever UN peacekeeping mission in Congo, and the Cold War-related political clusterf*** of the time that led to 150 of them being effectively left to fight for their lives, unsupported and un-resupplied, against 1,000s of mercenaries in Jadotville.

Elite Squad (Brazil, 2007)

A well-earned 7/10. As tragic and hard-hitting as it is funnily Kafka-esque (the narrator's description of 'the scam' (bribery and extortion culture) and Brazilian police 'work' is fall-off-your-chair-funny at times), an indispensable watch in the same Brazilian vein as City of God and City of Men.

Last edited by L00b; 19-01-2017 at 16:54.
19-01-2017, 22:02   #1424
Mister M

Total Posts: 8,394
On the recommendation of another Forummer I got a box set of Hitchcock films, including The Birds
10 out of 10 - it was brilliant. Much better than Rear Window, which I thought was boring.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 21:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTONY View Post
This was the film that gave Tony Warren the idea for Coronation Street, and made Albert Finney a star. Very stark portrayal of working class Notherners
I didn't much like Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. I liked This Sporting life, a film it's often compared with, even less.
Though I loved Billy Liar. Pure Ambrosia
_______
"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing." Malcolm X

http://calumslist.org/

Last edited by Mister M; 19-01-2017 at 22:07.
19-01-2017, 23:26   #1425
top4718

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTONY View Post
Yes you can certainly "see" Coronation Street in it.
20-01-2017, 00:42   #1426
TORONTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister M View Post
On the recommendation of another Forummer I got a box set of Hitchcock films, including The Birds
10 out of 10 - it was brilliant. Much better than Rear Window, which I thought was boring.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 21:06 ----------

I didn't much like Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. I liked This Sporting life, a film it's often compared with, even less.
Though I loved Billy Liar. Pure Ambrosia
There were lots of gritty working class type films at that time. This Sporting Life was a good one and made a star out of Richard Harris. Others of note were Live Now Pay Later, Room At The Top, The Angry Silence, The Family Way, Look Back In Anger, just to mention a few.
Yesterday, 00:48   #1427
top4718

The Big Short - 6.5/10 - A well made, well acted film that unless you have a more than basic understanding of American finances will leave you scratching your head, I dont but still enjoyed it.
Yesterday, 16:23   #1428
NigelFargate

Total Posts: 301
Jackie

4/10

I was disappointed with this, because I was expecting a bio-pic of Jackie Kennedy. I ought to have read a review first, because what it is really about is the assassination and its immediate aftermath, from Jackie's perspective. So we learn virtually nothing about Jackie's life prior to her entry into the White House and nothing about her life after 1963.

As one would expect given its subject matter, it has a gloomy, miserable atmosphere for the most part. This aspect is well done and the director has probably done a good job in recreating this time period. However, there is an abundance of documentary material available on the same subject, so seems to be largely an exercise in replicating (or attempting to replicate) reality on screen. Some parts, particularly the detail of the arrangements for Kennedy's funeral, are in my view rather tedious and boring.

Attention will no doubt be focused on Portman's portrayal. Those who knew Jackie are undoubtedly better placed to judge this than movie goers. However, at various points I couldn't help the feeling that this was an actress, doing actressy things.
Yesterday, 17:03   #1429
Funky_Gibbon

Total Posts: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by top4718 View Post
The Big Short - 6.5/10 - A well made, well acted film that unless you have a more than basic understanding of American finances will leave you scratching your head, I dont but still enjoyed it.
I think the issue wasn't your lack of understanding of American finance but that the whole American finance industry was (and probably still is) a complete farce and beyond all logic.
_______
"Psycho Dad. Now with less violence but more kinky sex and nudity for a cleaner, safer America."
Yesterday, 17:42   #1430
TORONTONY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky_Gibbon View Post
I think the issue wasn't your lack of understanding of American finance but that the whole American finance industry was (and probably still is) a complete farce and beyond all logic.
Yesterday's main US news story says it all eh?
Today, 09:20   #1431
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 182
' What's Your Number ? ' with Anna Faris in. About a 6. It was watchable, but personally I think her idea of finding every man she'd ever hooked up with in the hope of finding a husband or whatever , was stupid.
_______
I smile because I have absolutely no idea what's going on
Reply To Topic