Rate The Last Film You've Seen With Marks Out Of Ten - Part Two

On the recommendation of another Forummer I got a box set of Hitchcock films, including The Birds

10 out of 10 - it was brilliant. Much better than Rear Window, which I thought was boring.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 21:06 ----------

This was the film that gave Tony Warren the idea for Coronation Street, and made Albert Finney a star. Very stark portrayal of working class Notherners

I didn't much like Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. I liked This Sporting life, a film it's often compared with, even less.

Though I loved Billy Liar. Pure Ambrosia :)

Edited by Mister M

This was the film that gave Tony Warren the idea for Coronation Street, and made Albert Finney a star. Very stark portrayal of working class Notherners

Yes you can certainly "see" Coronation Street in it.

On the recommendation of another Forummer I got a box set of Hitchcock films, including The Birds

10 out of 10 - it was brilliant. Much better than Rear Window, which I thought was boring.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 21:06 ----------

I didn't much like Saturday Night and Sunday Morning. I liked This Sporting life, a film it's often compared with, even less.

Though I loved Billy Liar. Pure Ambrosia :)

There were lots of gritty working class type films at that time. This Sporting Life was a good one and made a star out of Richard Harris. Others of note were Live Now Pay Later, Room At The Top, The Angry Silence, The Family Way, Look Back In Anger, just to mention a few.

The Big Short - 6.5/10 - A well made, well acted film that unless you have a more than basic understanding of American finances will leave you scratching your head, I dont but still enjoyed it.

Jackie

4/10

I was disappointed with this, because I was expecting a bio-pic of Jackie Kennedy. I ought to have read a review first, because what it is really about is the assassination and its immediate aftermath, from Jackie's perspective. So we learn virtually nothing about Jackie's life prior to her entry into the White House and nothing about her life after 1963.

As one would expect given its subject matter, it has a gloomy, miserable atmosphere for the most part. This aspect is well done and the director has probably done a good job in recreating this time period. However, there is an abundance of documentary material available on the same subject, so seems to be largely an exercise in replicating (or attempting to replicate) reality on screen. Some parts, particularly the detail of the arrangements for Kennedy's funeral, are in my view rather tedious and boring.

Attention will no doubt be focused on Portman's portrayal. Those who knew Jackie are undoubtedly better placed to judge this than movie goers. However, at various points I couldn't help the feeling that this was an actress, doing actressy things.

The Big Short - 6.5/10 - A well made, well acted film that unless you have a more than basic understanding of American finances will leave you scratching your head, I dont but still enjoyed it.

I think the issue wasn't your lack of understanding of American finance but that the whole American finance industry was (and probably still is) a complete farce and beyond all logic.

I think the issue wasn't your lack of understanding of American finance but that the whole American finance industry was (and probably still is) a complete farce and beyond all logic.

Yesterday's main US news story says it all eh?;)

' What's Your Number ? ' with Anna Faris in. About a 6. It was watchable, but personally I think her idea of finding every man she'd ever hooked up with in the hope of finding a husband or whatever , was stupid. :|

Alice through the looking glass. Tedious cgi fest, ponderous direction and lacked soul. 5/10

Jack Reacher 1/10 another 2 hrs I wont get back. If you've read the books don't bother!!

It wasn't that bad.

No worse than the first film, and this time at least the love interest knows how to kick-ass, instead of being a helpless female.

The bad guys lack the depth of the ones in the last film, but this makes the story much simpler to follow.

It's a 6/10 from me.

I thought it was considerably worse than the first film.

I thought it was considerably worse than the first film.

All I can say in my defence is that you must have rated the first film very highly :)