Can cloud make image of hard drive?

A remote backup image file is always a good idea, especially if it is stored onsite but detached from the internet and ideally, remote from the computer (fire). I'm thinking about security here. Putting anything on the cloud is a complete act of faith because you lose control over it and have absolutely no idea of who has access to your files. A local NAS drive would be my preference with a couple of say 2TB drives configured in a raid array such that if one fails, your backup is still available. For maximum security, keep the NAS detached so that any viruses that encrypt file systems, miss the NAS. 15 mins or so and you are back in business after a full restore. For Windows, EaseUS is a good backup solution.

What do you call detached network attached storage. A disk.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 08:09 ----------

How to find your windows key

Download windows 7 installation disk direct from microsoft

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

Thanks guys. I've got my Windows key now, So the word "key" as used here is the same as the word "licence key number." I suppose it's an abbreviation for "licence key"? This may sound very trivial but to someone who's struggling with all this IT stuff it isn't. So have I got this part right? I used to think that the only place I could find my licence key number was on the Windows installation disc as a stick-on label. But since I wasn't given the installation disc I assumed I couldn't find that number. This proved difficult sometimes because certain things I wanted to do asked me for my licence key and I had to forego them, or so I believed. If I've understood what you say aright you've freed me to take advantage of these things. Many thanks.

---------- Post added 24-01-2017 at 12:45 ----------

You have all answered many of my questions in the area of backup disc and image on an external HD but I still don't know any detail about how my Windows 7 can be put on a cloud, such as which memory would I use to put it there, the recovery disc or the external HD? You did say I could put it on a cloud, the-bloke but I get the feeling that no one ever does that. And you asked me what advantages I saw in making an image of the HD. After reading what everyone else has said on the subject I can see its drawbacks (time consuming etc). People have referred to recovery partitions so I assume that this reference is to everything between the partitions (there is stuff between partitions, no?) everything that refers to making a recovery? So is this recovery enough to recover Windows 7 plus all my other files and should I keep them all on the external HD or not? I'm beginning to think the external HD is a waste of money except there's a smaller limit to how much I could get on a disc. As you can see, I'm still confused by it all. Anyone want to help me a bit more?

Edited by woolyhead

Hi, my advice to you would be:

1. Partition your external drive into two logical partitions - basically split it into 2 pieces of Cake in simple terms.

2. Assign the first partition for your Operating System backup.

3. Assign the second partition for data.

Now I have never used Macreum Reflect so I can only talk about Acronis Home Image. I have used Acronis at work in the past to restore a system whose main partition failed - the computer company who it was bought off couldn't get the system back in place using its tools - they were amazed that XP image with all apps etc was back up and running in a little over 20 minutes. If your hard drive has lots of room in it then backing up your entire drive should be a 'piece of cake'! It does take time to make the initial backup but then you can make 'incremental' backups after your initial one.

Starting in your current position I would backup all your data (and we need to know if this is to include e-mails as there are specific ways of backing up email clients depending on what you use and where that information is stored locally. Backup all your data by creating a folder - Call it data_31.1.17 and copy all the stuff you have in your user folder to the data folder on the external hard drive. Once you are happy you have copied everything across, Delete all your data from the computer hard drive and then commence an image of your OS and Applications. The advantage of having an image of your OS and Applications is that you will restore it to the most recent point in time with all your Windows Updates already applied. Installing an OS with the basics is fine but when you then have to apply all the updates it can take forever (or seem like it). Then be sure to make regular data backups - I always do this with the computer NOT connected to the Internet to prevent any encryption malware appearing that would prevent you from accessing your backup. ;)

PS I've updated my response to your Internet and Windows Explorer being accidentally deleted.

Edited by swarfendor43