Failed to logon issue?

Hi Jack

I've replied to your private message.

william

Hi thanks Im not really sure but it seems to be working fine as normal now ? all smooth ...

---------- Post added 13-01-2017 at 10:28 ----------

although when I do go on task manager there are 78 processes cpu is 60% and I only have this tab open nothing else running I have 100 things that are not running is there anything I should do about them they just say stopped? and physical memory 62%

Could be the age of the laptop. Can you post how much RAM you have and what processor? (right click My Computer, Properties. It should tell you).

You could reduce the number of items that launch with your system, which might free up a bit of resources. Type "msconfig" into run, and click "start up". You'll see a big list of programs that launch with the system. Many applications are put into this startup list as a way to run in the background. You can probably disable many of these (but be careful). If you find a lot of applications in there that you no longer use, it's probably better to uninstall them (which will also remove them from the startup list).

Hello thanks again it says 120gb - used space and 162gb - free space

The processor is - Celeron® Dual core CPU T3100 @1.90ghz

4GB memory 64 bit operating system

On the start up really nothing loads like skype, printer , etc I ticked all that off ages ago so when I switch it on I could literally use it straight away without all that loading

Sounds like either the OS is old and has accumulated a load of rubbish over time. Bit like a vacuum cleaner, you can empty the bag every day but there's always going to be bits of stuff left over in the filter and on the brushes etc.

I would suggest a re-build with a solid state hard drive to give it a new spruce of life. You could try upgrading the RAM to 8Gb too but some of the older models don't allow more than 4Gb

Let me know if you need help with this.

Will work for tea and biscuits :)

Hello thanks I will let you no how I go on I opened resource monitor and svchost.exe is at the top with 42 threads 50 cpu is that good/bad I have only sheffield forum open nothing else I no of running etc?

The processor is - Celeron® Dual core CPU T3100 @1.90ghz

4GB memory 64 bit operating system

Okay, that's not too unusual then. Celeron processors are the low-end budget Intel processor range, so having high CPU usage on an 8 year old Celeron isn't anything out of the ordinary.

If you get the opportunity to furnish yourself with a new laptop anytime soon, you'll notice a world of difference (speed wise).

Hello thanks I will let you no how I go on I opened resource monitor and svchost.exe is at the top with 42 threads 50 cpu is that good/bad I have only sheffield forum open nothing else I no of running etc?

SVCHost is a tricky one to diagnose as it has multiple processes inside it. You could spend ages finding out what it's doing and be non the wiser.

It does sound about right on an older laptop to be honest, especially if it's not been rebuilt in a while.

If you're only using it for the internet then Chromebooks are great for this. I use mine everyday.

Hey thanks for the advice I do appreciate it!