Anybody seen 'I Daniel Blake?'

A Ken Loach film is usually about the noble poor and the evil rich Tories, is this one any different?

I suppose it's like a Status Quo concert, you know what you are getting.

'I, Daniel Blake' has just won the 'Best British Fim' catagory, at this year's BAFTAs. (2017)

IMO very well deserved, especially with such a limited release.

Well done, Ken Loach and company.

Rubbish, I'll paste my rating of it in the movies section,I, Daniel Blake, had high hopes for this considering the hype but ultimately it played out like contrived left wing propaganda, as one person said "It’s a film which talks exclusively to the people who are already on side with everything it has to say"....4/10.

Rubbish, I'll paste my rating of it in the movies section,I, Daniel Blake, had high hopes for this considering the hype but ultimately it played out like contrived left wing propaganda, as one person said "It’s a film which talks exclusively to the people who are already on side with everything it has to say"....4/10.

It seems the Bafta judges disagree with you, as do I. I thought it was an excellent film.

Anna B,

I would really like to see the film . I hope you don't think it's presumptuous of me .But If you like Ken Loach's work you might also find the work of Jim Allan interesting. Amongst his work, " The Lump " and " Raining Stones " ,are pretty gripping examples of social realism. It's a real shame that his work seems to have been forgotten. He collaborated with Ken Loach in the dim and distant past.

Edited by petemcewan

I have watched the trailer on IMDb. Whilst I agree that it's a film that needs making on of the things to come out of the trailer I saw was that this poor carpenter down on his luck couldn't operate a PC. Really? Really and truly? It's stuff like that, trying so hard to labour a point, that puts me off handing over my hard earned.

its completely true, a former workmate whos just been made redundent with me, slightly older, 50 odd, hes a handyman, awesome at making things, carpentry, knocks up shelving and doors and walls, seen him when called into action at work.

yet hes absolutely atrocious with pcs, i have to show him every single time when booking a job out, hes terrible with technology.

Whereas im the opposite lol, great with computers and such but absolutely pitiful with diy, i dont have a clue

its completely true, a former workmate whos just been made redundent with me, slightly older, 50 odd, hes a handyman, awesome at making things, carpentry, knocks up shelving and doors and walls, seen him when called into action at work.

yet hes absolutely atrocious with pcs, i have to show him every single time when booking a job out, hes terrible with technology.

Whereas im the opposite lol, great with computers and such but absolutely pitiful with diy, i dont have a clue

What did he need the computer for? (I've not seen it - but seen and heard Ken Loach) If it was for job searching, then not being able to use a PC is no excuse. I'm probably in the top 1% in terms of Sheffield recluses, and even I could find someone to help use one.

If didn't know anyone, I'd simply ask in here!

(that's a joke for anyone that misses it)

:)

What did he need the computer for? (I've not seen it - but seen and heard Ken Loach) If it was for job searching, then not being able to use a PC is no excuse. I'm probably in the top 1% in terms of Sheffield recluses, and even I could find someone to help use one.

If didn't know anyone, I'd simply ask in here!

(that's a joke for anyone that misses it)

:)

nah what i mentioned, at work it was for booking a job out of our area once its complete, not rocket science, but like i said he hated computers and very computer illiterate, yet could knock up a wall here, or a bookshelf there at the drop of a hat lol

nah what i mentioned, at work it was for booking a job out of our area once its complete, not rocket science, but like i said he hated computers and very computer illiterate, yet could knock up a wall here, or a bookshelf there at the drop of a hat lol

Still, these days, you can find free computer courses/ free help with the sites, at the job centre/ or free help just by knowing 2 or 3 people, and it's statistically likely that one of them can help or direct to another.

I'll probably watch it if it's on TV or free on something like youtube. I didn't like Loach at all when on Question Time, so definitely not going out of my way to watch this one. I think it will annoy me just based on this, and then backed-up by tinfoilhats one sentence synopsis :hihi:

Is it a case of can't learn won't learn? I worked at a shop once and the newspaper bill was computerised. A fair few staff left as a result "oooo I can't learn that" - they just wouldn't be taught. All of a "certain" age. That was 17 or more years ago. With mobile phones more and more technical, it's damn hard to get a holiday or insurance without a basic level of computer knowledge. There used to be lots of free courses - is that not still the case?

Is it a case of can't learn won't learn? I worked at a shop once and the newspaper bill was computerised. A fair few staff left as a result "oooo I can't learn that" - they just wouldn't be taught. All of a "certain" age. That was 17 or more years ago. With mobile phones more and more technical, it's damn hard to get a holiday or insurance without a basic level of computer knowledge. There used to be lots of free courses - is that not still the case?

yeah well he doesnt really use em, and hates em so doesnt really want to learn, only grudgingly as he was forced to at work lol.

I know how he feels tbf, im the same with tools :D

yeah well he doesnt really use em, and hates em so doesnt really want to learn, only grudgingly as he was forced to at work lol.

I know how he feels tbf, im the same with tools :D

I get what you're saying - look up cack-handed in a dictionary and there's a picture of me about to stick a nail through my hand. But my crack-handery doesn't stop me dealing with major corporations, ordering things and dealing with The Man.

It would be nice if one of the things the film drove home was that if you're in work and don't use computers - learn anyway. I doubt that's the case - it will just be how mean the tories are.