Electrical Advice? Please!

:idea:

Have you checked if a loose connection inside the switch is causing shorting? :huh:

Ummm...No, I haven't...But yes, I guess that's a possibility...as that would affect both lights right?

If both of them come on at the same time then it's either in the environment, or as you say in the wiring supplying power.

If you check the wiring is OK and there are no resistive contacts, loose bits stuff like that then the next option is to wire one of them to a different branch circuit to a different fuse/circuit breaker. If they still do it then it's the Board supply to the house, or something causing RF interference. Ultimately though as others say they are cheap and nasty and are probably susceptible to interference from radio transmittoers, to faulty central heating thermostats or garage door motors... and theres probably not much can be done about it.

Ummm...No, I haven't...But yes, I guess that's a possibility...as that would affect both lights right?

:huh:

I'm just guessing Pete, but a 'spark' from a loose connection might be sending it into permanent mode...

If both of them come on at the same time then it's either in the environment, or as you say in the wiring supplying power.

If you check the wiring is OK and there are no resistive contacts, loose bits stuff like that then the next option is to wire one of them to a different branch circuit to a different fuse/circuit breaker. If they still do it then it's the Board supply to the house, or something causing RF interference. Ultimately though as others say they are cheap and nasty and are probably susceptible to interference from radio transmittoers, to faulty central heating thermostats or garage door motors... and theres probably not much can be done about it.

Blimey, that would be a luxury, just to have a garage, never mind a garage door motor...

Would start with the light switch for a start ....what make / model are the coach lights ?

UPDATE:

Well, I had a 'friend' visit and it turns out, there was indeed a loose wire in the main switch and the earth wire wasn't connected at all, which was intermittently making connection and not, as the case may be.

The result of the intermittent connection was putting the light in manual mode (on all the time)...Or indeed not coming on at all when switched on.

Anyway, thank you all for your contributions, the problem is now solved!

(Special thanks to Petemcewan)

UPDATE:

Well, I had a 'friend' visit and it turns out, there was indeed a loose wire in the main switch and the earth wire wasn't connected at all, which was intermittently making connection and not, as the case may be.

The result of the intermittent connection was putting the light in manual mode (on all the time)...Or indeed not coming on at all when switched on.

Anyway, thank you all for your contributions, the problem is now solved!

(Special thanks to Petemcewan)

:)

Glad it's sorted Mr Pete! :thumbsup:

Mr Pete Moriss had it pretty well diagnosed to begin with.

There was darkness upon the deep. Then there was light.

Edited by petemcewan

Pete, can I ask you to update this thread in a few weeks time pls.

I had exactly the same problem, checked all the wiring etc, in the end i gave up and took them down thinking it was a faulty sensor?

I did get at the most 2-3 weeks correct function after messing, but it always reverted to "on all the time" mode.