New company using similar name to mine.

I see you seem to need to have the last word. I'll quote with what I have already said and leave it at that.

The evidence is there for all to see. People can make up their own minds on the matter.

I see you seem to need to have the last word. I'll quote with what I have already said and leave it at that.
If you're a mod, you should have closed the thread.

As you're not, you don't get to tell me when to stop posting on an open thread.

Now, that clarified, I didn't need or want the last word, I engaged your points and asked you a question (3rd time).

Care to answer it yet?

Edited by L00b

...<snipped>...Registering a trade mark is the only pro-active form of "protection" for a company name (or product/service brand name or ....)...<snipped>...

:huh:

Just getting back to the concerns of the OP and your suggestion that the best way to protect a company name for a sole trader is to get a trademark for the name...

... would I be right in thinking that if the OP just forgets about it and carries on with business as normal, then there is always the worrying possibility that the 'copycat' business owner could in fact apply for the trademark themselves and so stop the OP from using the name, even though the OP may have been trading under that name for several years? :suspect:

To Berberis and L00b:

Please stop the fighting. Focus on the legal points and countervailing, fine, but less of the childishness.

:huh:

Just getting back to the concerns of the OP and your suggestion that the best way to protect a company name for a sole trader is to get a trademark for the name...

... would I be right in thinking that if the OP just forgets about it and carries on with business as normal, then there is always the worrying possibility that the 'copycat' business owner could in fact apply for the trademark themselves and so stop the OP from using the name, even though the OP may have been trading under that name for several years? :suspect:

No, in that hypothesis, though yes someone could apply for the mark 'later', the OP would have what is called an 'earlier right', and could actually oppose that later application for registration. Depends how widespread that earlier trading would be, though (it would need to be more than just local). These are just the general principles, your mileage will vary with every case :)

That's me done with IP-themed posts and threads on SF. No more freebies on here. Ever. Lesson well learned, Mr Shaw. I'm all refocused, and out of this thread. Probably the forum as well, tbh.

Edited by L00b

No, in that hypothesis, though yes someone could apply for the mark 'later', the OP would have what is called an 'earlier right', and could actually oppose that later application for registration. Depends how widespread that earlier trading would be, though (it would need to be more than just local). These are just the general principles, your mileage will vary with every case :)

That's me done with IP-themed posts and threads on SF. No more freebies on here. Ever. Lesson well learned, Mr Shaw. I'm all refocused, and out of this thread. Probably the forum as well, tbh.

:(

Oh dear!

Thanks for your reply Mr L00b.

I think it's a shame that people who are prepared to share their genuine knowledge and experience freely on here for the benefit of others are now being made to feel that they are no more appreciated than any Tom, Dick or Troll who happens to be best mates with Mr Google.

I have always found your posts very interesting and informative.

The forum needs more posters like yourself... not fewer!!! :mad:

I have always found your posts very interesting and informative.

The forum needs more posters like yourself... not fewer!

Yes, I can agree with that.