Has anyone used A.S.K complete building services?

Hit the nail on the head here.

Why 3 quotes? If you are satisfied that it is the builder for you and the price is right why waste 2 other builders valuable free time when you have no intention of employing them?

I have had years of been called out at evenings and weekends to price for jobs which take an average of 3 hours to quote for and the customer is only wanting me for a comparison quote or simply pick my brains. Quotes are not charged for and are usually done out of working hours. 3 hours a quote x 3 time wasters a week adds up in a year to a lot of unpaid wasted time.

Now if I am booked beyond 6 weeks I will not look at any job until I am down to 4-6 weeks ahead. Really had enough of people stealing my valuable free leisure time.

In your early business days you put up with it but once you start going to your cousins funerals you begin to realise there is more to life than wasting it on time wasters. Rant over.

Because then you can make an informed choice, would you book the first holiday you saw? buy the first car you saw? buy the first house you saw? or would you shop around and then make a choice?

In my instance I asked 10 builders over a period of months to quote me for a job (several from this forum) now I don't hold to "use the cheapest" and I knew what the materials would cost for my job, 1 quote was so high I bought ladders to see it!, 5 never even turned up or called, the other 4 did and of them only one quoted me and he got the job, he might not have been the cheapest but the fact was his business was conducted in an excellent manner.

I was also cheesed off at having my valuable time wasted too. My rant over.

Why 3 quotes? If you are satisfied that it is the builder for you and the price is right why waste 2 other builders valuable free time when you have no intention of employing them?

I have had years of been called out at evenings and weekends to price for jobs which take an average of 3 hours to quote for and the customer is only wanting me for a comparison quote or simply pick my brains. Quotes are not charged for and are usually done out of working hours. 3 hours a quote x 3 time wasters a week adds up in a year to a lot of unpaid wasted time.

Now if I am booked beyond 6 weeks I will not look at any job until I am down to 4-6 weeks ahead. Really had enough of people stealing my valuable free leisure time.

In your early business days you put up with it but once you start going to your cousins funerals you begin to realise there is more to life than wasting it on time wasters. Rant over.

Retired has a point, it is a pain in the ass when you drive across sheffield and spend an hour talking customers through jobs, only to not hear a word back.

It happens, it's part of the job.

I will generally get out to see all work that comes my way, unless you are rude on the phone which happens or start trying to pick my brains for prices over the phone, again, this happens.

I do however think the 3 quotes system is a good way for inexperienced customers to get a decent idea about pricing.

Because then you can make an informed choice, would you book the first holiday you saw? buy the first car you saw? buy the first house you saw? or would you shop around and then make a choice?

In my instance I asked 10 builders over a period of months to quote me for a job (several from this forum) now I don't hold to "use the cheapest" and I knew what the materials would cost for my job, 1 quote was so high I bought ladders to see it!, 5 never even turned up or called, the other 4 did and of them only one quoted me and he got the job, he might not have been the cheapest but the fact was his business was conducted in an excellent manner.

I was also cheesed off at having my valuable time wasted too. My rant over.

like I said, Why 3 quotes? If you are satisfied that it is the builder for you and the price is right why waste 2 other builders valuable free time when you have no intention of employing them?

stay well clear of w r d

Enlighten us please

i know some good quality pricework brickies gold cscs card holders :cool:

Have recently used ASK to do quite a bit of work on my house. The quality of the work is ok/good. But i would not use them again, nor reccommend them unfortunately.

Ive heard they are expensive..mind you he has got a huge house so that probably explains it..

I always recommend getting more than one quote to clients unless they really know who they want to use already. I do try and advise not to ask too many people for quotes as it just pushes costs up across the industry. The cost difference in quotes can be huge and a house extension is a massive purchase.

I'm in the same position - I spend a lot of time with potential clients and give plenty of free advice knowing that for some, it will just come down to who is cheapest. That adds significant overheads to my business and reduces my free time but I know I wouldn't want to make that decision without shopping around.