Refund of bond from rented flat

I need some advice re getting my bond back

When i took over an apartment on a shorthold letting i had some trouble with the letting agency ie they really messed me about showed me wrong flat etc etc so i went directly to the property management ( i think they were the owners too) who sorted me out very quickly and efficiently However i asked 3 times for a reciept for my bond of 650 pounds and they never sent me one. i gave notice by email and i know they received it as a letting agency contacted me to get the keys Because of them not sending me any receipt for the bond I withheld the last months rent and i have sent 4 emails to them explaining this and asking for the remainder of the bond to be refunded to me (£150) The flat was left immaculate and I confirmed this with the letting agent can anyone get me advice on what to do to get my money back I have sent polite emails and quoted the law on the holding bonds in the government backed scheme etc but they are ignoring my emails Thanks for any help

Talk to the CAB, they will be able to tell you about the government scheme and who oversee's it.

There should be someone to report the landlord to as what they're doing with the security deposit is illegal.

Well, you could be quids in. Your bond should have been paid into a deposit protection scheme. If they haven't, and you progress it far enough, the courts could order them to pay you three times the bond.

https://www.gov.uk/deposit-protection-schemes-and-landlords/overview

What does it say in your contract re the bond?

jb

As above ^^^^ the landlord are not allowed to keep the bond.We rand agency up and asked for bond and they sorted it,not the landlord.

As already said above, your contract will mention the bond and its amount. If it does not you may have trouble getting it back as there will be no evidence of any money changing hands, however, as you have done so already, you can withhold the last months rent as repayment and the landlord will need to take you to the small claims court to retrieve it. However no magistrate will believe a landlord allowed you to rent a property without paying a deposit.

Thank you for the replies I did withhold the last months rent but I am still £150 out of pocket as they asked for £650 bond and the rent was £500 per month I will check the rental agreement but i dont think there is any mention of it (only in general terms) but I think that is why I kept asking for a receipt which they never sent me Thanks

If it does not you may have trouble getting it back as there will be no evidence of any money changing hands,

Unless the bond was paid by cheque or bank transfer and the OP can provide proof to the court.

If no bond is mentioned in the contract that may go in the OP's favour as it shows the landlord was not providing a legal renting contract and has broken the law wrt the bond.

If the bond was paid by cash and there was no receipt then is there any proof a bond was asked for and paid in the first place. If you cannot prove a bond was paid then it could be seen as the property was free of a bond.

In that case holding back the last months rent will put you in 1 months arrears and you could be took to court for it with the threat of a ccj and a ruined credit history.

The bond is for one thing and rent is another.

First, OP (as tenant) must ascertain with which of the three or four schemes the deposit is actually protected- if it is!

L or L's Letting Agent should have given OP precisely these details at the outset.

First, OP (as tenant) must ascertain with which of the three or four schemes the deposit is actually protected- if it is!

L or L's Letting Agent should have given OP precisely these details at the outset.

Thanks Mr Shaw only proof I have is a bank transfer reciept for the months rent and the £650 bond what i am worried about is because I withheld the last months rent will this go against me getting back my remaining £150 They sent me no reciept for either and no mention of where the bond was held The landlord is in Nottingham I would go there personally if it was nearer.

L had a legal duty [Housing Act 2004] to provide you with Prescribed Information re your deposit. Maybe go to your Council's Tenancy Officer (or Trading Standards etc) to complain that L failed to comply with statutory duty as to Deposit Protection (DP).

For more about the DP, see Shelter's website: http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/tenancy_deposit_rights_checker