BT infinity phone crackling

Has anyone with BT infinity fibre optic broadband been experiencing a bad crackling noise on the phone line?

The broadband is working OK.

BT want £135 call out fee before they do anything.

Two things to try first....

Try a different phone (If you haven't already done so)

Also find your master test jack (The main phone socket where the line comes into the house). Remove the half front panel and you'll find another test socket under the cover... Plug a phone into this test socket and if there is still crackling on the line then it's outside of your house and therefore would be BT's responsibility.

Cheers

Dave.

Has your phone line got filters on it? If not I believe this can cause crackling.

Thanks very much for that info.

Has your phone line got filters on it? If not I believe this can cause crackling.

His master socket should have filters built in if it's BT fibre.

Don't assume that BT engineers have come to install fibre at customer premises - BT's 40Mbit product is now a wires only i.e customer self install product, which means that customers use standard DSL filters of varying grades that usually come bundled in the box with their routers. BT Infinity full 80Mbit product is still an engineer install though, so in that instance the engineer should optimise the potential of the line and install a proper DSL faceplate in line.

More likely to be a dodgy phone line to be honest. We had a crackly phone line for about 5 years when we was with talk talk, I reported it to them on numerous occasions only to be told there was no fault. This also caused massive internet speed faults too when we was on adsl 2.

We switched to BT in 2009 and I reported the fault to them and they found it was a faulty cable from the box outside the house to the primary inside socket, they fixed it free of charge and have never had any problems since.

The test socket, the one mentioned by WaveyDavey, is before the filters.

Been having problems with our BT broadband disconnecting, crackling on the phone line making both unusable, mostly when the weather bad, just did a bit of googling and came up with this

https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/The-Recurring-Problem-Crackly-Phone-Line/td-p/3604

Seems it's common, we've done all the swapping phones, filters and phone are all new but broadband still it drops out and crackles when the weather bad.

BT say no fault on the line, oh the joys of winter.

i had the same fault with talktalk crackling on the line could not use broadband phoned them many times they did line checks said no fault on line,but they could hear the crackling while i was speaking to them took me 2 years of hassle with them to get it sorted it was a junction box up the road p.s they charged me £164 on 1 of the calls but i got that back when they found it was not a problem in my house

so good luck

Yea, you have to keep at it with them otherwise they just dont bother.