UK - A one city country?

I am of the view that apart from London, there isn't much for tourists to come and visit us for. The next biggest cities are Birmingham and Leeds, then Sheffield and Manchester, I can't see many people coming to visit those cities, they are hardly covered in great places.

Maybe Edinburgh, who knows.

But really, I wonder if anyone ever visits the UK for a "holiday" to often visit many other places?

Are you joking?

No they aren't, why would you think they are?

London is the most visited city in the world, by some margin. I would be surprised if the UK had another city in the top 50.

I am of the view that apart from London, there isn't much for tourists to come and visit us for. The next biggest cities are Birmingham and Leeds, then Sheffield and Manchester, I can't see many people coming to visit those cities, they are hardly covered in great places.

But really, I wonder if anyone ever visits the UK for a "holiday" to often visit many other places?

Off the top of my head, what about the Lake District, York, and Loch Ness? Lot's of people also come from all over the world to watch Manchester United as well.

Off the top of my head, what about the Lake District, York, and Loch Ness? Lot's of people also come from all over the world to watch Manchester United as well.

Certainly York & Edinburgh - also other historic places like Stratford, Canterbury & Winchester. Plus "quaint" places like the Cotswolds.

And there's the clue to the OP - what attracts foreign tourists to the UK is mainly (pre-industrial revolution) history.

Lake District - Not a city and I would imagine that the vast majority of it's impressive tourist numbers are from within the UK. Can anyone find any actual figures to see if I am wrong or right?

Loch Ness - Again not a city and I don't think it pulls that many visitors if I am honest.

York - A beautiful city that really should get more tourists than it does. I would bu surprised if York was in the worlds 100 most visited cities.

Whilst a lot of people do go to watch Manchester United, it wouldn't be enough to lift Manchester into the higher echelons of the worlds most visited places. I would imagine it is the UK's third most visited city, after London and Edinburgh, but still not a world beater.

OP has it spot on for me.

Not you, obviously. Why not google "most visited cities in UK" and it will tell you about places like Oxford, Brighton, York, Bath, etc? All you've done is pick the biggest cities rather than the ones that are lovely to visit.

Not you, obviously. Why not google "most visited cities in UK" and it will tell you about places like Oxford, Brighton, York, Bath, etc? All you've done is pick the biggest cities rather than the ones that are lovely to visit.

Why not then continue to compare them to the visited cities across the world and you shall see that the OP is right.

He is not talking about cities that are "lovely to visit" (ridiculously subjective and impossible to measure), but the cities that people from abroad come to holiday inwhich is what the thread is about.

I love Brighton, would live there in a heart beat, but it isn't really w player when it comes to international tourism.

Why not then continue to compare them to the visited cities across the world and you shall see that the OP is right.

He is not talking about cities that are "lovely to visit" (ridiculously subjective and impossible to measure), but the cities that people from abroad come to holiday inwhich is what the thread is about.

Is it?

The OP would appear to be under the impression that the only thing that can attract tourists is cities - which is obviously nonsense.

There are hundreds of places that I would put ahead of London.

Isn't the Peak District one of the most visited national parks in the country?

I agree. We are country with little history. There's nothing historical to see :suspect: