Ed Milipede, the Intellectual ??

More like the ineffectual intellectual.

After the success of U.K.I.P. and the almost demise of the Lib Dems, it looks like the country is in for an interesting election next May. Its too late for Milipede to step down and make way for someone with a bit more political 'Umphh', and so the Labour Party is stuck with him. There's nothing wrong with the chap, he's just not Prime Minister material. That's a shame because we must have a good and effective opposition, U.K.I.P. will not provide that, only ranting on and on about immigrants taking the jobs, houses and welfare benefits of British subjects.

Historically, its all been said before. In the 50's the West Indians took the brunt of Enoch and his followers, but look at how things have turned out these days. The second generation of West Indians settled into jobs few of us wanted anyway, including nursing, bus and train driving, the transport system and N.H.S. would have collapsed years ago if they hadn't settled here.

Then the Asians came, and now the majority of the N.H.S. medical staff are Asian and keeping us all reasonably fit and well. They run the corner shops that we cannot make profits from, sub post offices, lawyers, businessmen and women, where would we be without them ?. They are even mouthing the same words of complaint that we did all those years ago about the Rumanians.

Our Green and Pleasant Land would have stopped producing the food we eat a long time ago if immigrant workers didn't work for less than we are prepared to work for, so just what is it about U.K.I.P. and its associated groups.

I'll tell you. Its the BANDWAGON folks. They've listened to those people who gripe and complain about just about everything, and they've jumped on it, editing out the very great value immigration have proven to be, but ranting on to an electorate disgruntled by traditional politics to what appears to be new and promising ideas to bring a breath of fresh air into politics. And what is that breath of fresh air ?. The old, old chestnuts, 'They're taking our jobs, our houses, our free N.H.S. etc. etc. ' and one or two Tories have jumped on that bandwagon like what they perceive to be rats deserting a sinking ship.

What does all this say about the electorate ?. It says that we expect everything, great big plasma tellys, the latest game consoles, cars, sofas, holidays abroad, 'Vegas', etc. but most of us don't want to work for these things, no, we expect the State to provide it all buckshee. That is the promise of Ed the intellectual, as it was from the two 'B;s'.

The alternative is too dreadful to even think about. I mean, we can't have a bunch of privileged people running the country and telling us what to do can we ?. We would rather have those who can make the most noise without actually saying anything of any real value.

Well, do your worst folks, it can only get worse.

I agree that Miliband is too much a 'policy wonk'.... Labour's problem is that for many years, their high command has been hijacked by people who are too far removed from ordinary people's lives. Having said that I do have some sympathy because Labour are caught in a double bind: either they connect with their core vote and the press complain that they are being too 'left wing', or they try to appease the press and fight the centre ground and the press complain that they are bland and indistinct. Conservatives don't seem to suffer that same conundrum.

I think you're correct that UKIP do seem to be collection of populist Daily Mail rants (anti political correctness, pro smoking, anti immigrant). Time will tell what these rants amount to in policy terms. Having said that, the two defectors from the Conservatives, to be fair to them, have spoken about the central reason for UKIP - the increasing powers of the EU without recourse to playing on people's baser instincts.

I don't detect that the majority of people in this country are idle and want things given to them on a plate. Yes of course many dream of winning the lottery and never having to work again, but statistics show that in spite of what's in the gutter press - people are hardworking, pay their way and don't fiddle the benefits system.

Edited by Mister M

You are right about the E.U. What began as a common market trading within has become more or less a Federal Europe. No-one voted for that but we're stuck with it unless someone throws his or her dummy out of the pram. We could start a rebellion amongst those countries which have the most to lose, MI6 should be good at that. I don't think the time is right for us to get out, but we should keep the momentum going with the threat of it.

The Human Rights Act should be looked at to modify it with a modicum of common sense, we can't have terrorists getting damages for being caught and put where they belong can we ?. If anyone within the Union takes the right to live from any other member, they should forfeit all their rights apart from the right to live. That would sort 'em all out, keep them in hygienic conditions, fed according to what they need, not want, and following annual reviews of their convictions, to all intents and purposes, they should cease to exist. No newspapers or books published after the date of their conviction, no telly, no computers or the internet, no visitors apart from legal visitors. Why should someone who has committed heinous crimes be kept in better conditions than our poorer off have ?.

Very sincerely,

P.C.Plod

What does all this say about the electorate ?.

The alternative is too dreadful to even think about.

Well, do your worst folks, it can only get worse.

Conservatives don't seem to suffer that same conundrum.

The conservatives seem to be better at the media stuff and getting their point accross.

The alternative used to be ok, the Lib Dems, but now the media have cast them as the party that breaks promises, when in fact they all do that. I always thought that the Lib Dems would recover, but they are running out of time, as the election gets closer.

But the result of the election will still, hopefully, be based on who has the best policies, and how that might work in a coalition. We dont know what those policies are yet.