Spelling Annoyances

Here is a good one that have always got wrong when used in certain contexts:

Counsellor v Councillor

Their v There v They're

When something belongs to some it is Theirs but saying a name it would be Bedrock's

Also, when do you or don't you use an apostrophe '

I know when belong to people it can be used and to break two word into one like wasn't

But I have seen people online use it after a word like Students' Union instead of Student's Union meaning belonging

Is it used before the last letter or after, one of life's conundrums :huh:

Here is a good one that have always got wrong when used in certain contexts:

Counsellor v Councillor

Their v There v They're

When something belongs to some it is Theirs but saying a name it would be Bedrock's

Also, when do you or don't you use an apostrophe '

I know when belong to people it can be used and to break two word into one like wasn't

But I have seen people online use it after a word like Students' Union instead of Student's Union meaning belonging

Is it used before the last letter or after, one of life's conundrums :huh:

You put the comma after the s to show that there is more then one student that the Union belongs to.

What about the increasing tendency for nitwits to use 'loose' instead of 'lose'?

What about the increasing tendency for nitwits to use 'loose' instead of 'lose'?

Agree, like lose change down the loo v loose change in my pocket

Also, when you say back in the 1990 period, it is the 90s or 90's :hihi:

Using apostrophe's incorrectly alway's bug's the Hell out of me.

Edit: Thats actually poor grammar rather than spelling mistake's though isnt' it?

When Sharrow festival was on a few years back, they had all these smart looking banners printed by the Council, hanging from buildings all along London Road: Sharrow, it's people; Sharow, it's culture; Sharrow, it's food ... nearly drove me mad. I had to stay away from the area for weeks.

Using apostrophe's incorrectly alway's bug's the Hell out of me.

Edit: Thats actually poor grammar rather than spelling mistake's though isnt' it?

Argh. Wrong use of apostrophes irks me too for some reason, even though it's really trivial.

The misuse of your instead of you're seems to be a popular one. I see some peoples' posts on Facebook and just want to correct them. But I resist the urge :hihi:

---------- Post added 31-07-2014 at 22:38 ----------

When Sharrow festival was on a few years back, they had all these smart looking banners printed by the Council, hanging from buildings all along London Road: Sharrow, it's people; Sharow, it's culture; Sharrow, it's food ... nearly drove me mad. I had to stay away from the area for weeks.

Maybe they DID mean to say 'Sharrow, it is people' etc. It sort of makes sense, or doesn't it? :confused:

A I see some peoples' posts on Facebook and just want to correct them.

Sorry to be pedantic, but since we're talking about about correct use of apostrophes, it should be "people's" since people is the plural. :wink:

Edited by MrsMozzy

Sorry to be pedantic, but since we're talking about about correct use of apostrophes, it should be "people's" since people is the plural. :wink:

I did ponder over that one :)

When posters use are instead of or.

Forget the nitwits,its the American spellchecker on here that gets my goat!:D

Makes me doubt my spelling all the time lol.

I'm sure there must be an option to change it somewhere,but I just haven't bothered to luck:o for it:D

When people say or write "I could/would of" instead of "I could/would have"