Best camera for £500

Guys, i want to get a decent camera in a couple of months, my budget is about £500, what is the best i can get for that, a good standard lens will be okay for now, i can add to it at a later date, my aim will be to take great pics while out walking,

I would visit a camera shop such as Harrison's on London Road and explain what I was going to use the camera for.

Bridge cameras and the better compact cameras are very versatile and may satisfy your needs plus being cheaper than an SLR and extra lens. They would also be more compact and lighter.

Bridge cameras and the better compact cameras are very versatile and may satisfy your needs plus being cheaper than an SLR and extra lens.

Good advice, remember you will need to budget for the lenses as well as the camera body and also a decent flashgun if you are likely to need to use flash.

Depends what you want it for, really. Do you want the convenience of a compact or the versatility of an SLR? Have you factored in the cost of the lenses you're likely to want?

I'd always recommend getting a high quality compact as a first expensive camera purchase; money spent on a compact is never wasted because even if you buy an SLR later on, you'll still get plenty of use out of a compact you can fit in your pocket. The best camera is the one you have with you!

I'd say the Canon EOS700D or Nikon D5300 are about the best you can get in that price range.

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/canon-700d-kit-18-135-stm-1277-p.asp

http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/nikon-d5300--18-140mm-vr-kit-1531-p.asp

Thanks Moggy...can i ask you a question.?

both those cameras dont have a the standard 50mm lens, why is that.? can you buy cameras that come with any lens on offer, i read somewhere that the standard 50mm lens is a better quality image, but then 18-55 is more versatile

Thanks Moggy...can i ask you a question.?

both those cameras dont have a the standard 50mm lens, why is that.? can you buy cameras that come with any lens on offer, i read somewhere that the standard 50mm lens is a better quality image, but then 18-55 is more versatile

most camera's come in different kits.

body only

body plus kit lens ( normally the 18-55mm)

body twin lens kits.( normally 18-55mm and a telephoto lens)

the 50mm F1.8 lens are better lenses than the standed kit lens, but you can still get good images from a kit lens.

There's a Canon 600d in the classified ads at the moment I've had one and it's a good camera.