Will Cameron have the guts to offer his MPs a free vote on Syria?

I think Corbyn has done the sensible thing and the right thing, in giving Labour MPs the opportunity to vote according to their conscience on this highly important matter.

I wonder if Cameron dare do the same. His actions lead me to believe that he would not.

Not a chance. Cameron sees himself as some kind of elder statesman which he is not. And he's arrogant.

It's quite embarrassing to watch him trying to shove himself forward in Europe when they just want him to go away. This is his chance to grab their attention and play with the big boys for once.

Sad really....

I think Corbyn has done the sensible thing and the right thing, in giving Labour MPs the opportunity to vote according to their conscience on this highly important matter.

I wonder if Cameron dare do the same. His actions lead me to believe that he would not.

why do you think that?

i'm quite sure cameron realised months ago that he would have to have a free vote, he knows well enough that the tories who are opposed to bombing will just ignore him if he tired to whip the vote

and while corbyn has done the sensible and right thing, it's a shame that he's only done so after being forced to do so after a week and a half of pointless bickering and by the threat of the shadow cabinet resigning en-masse. for a politician of many years standing, he really is bad at politics.

Edited by andyofborg

Perhaps you should keep up to date. The Tories will have a free vote on the issue just like they did last time.

I hope they vote against it but I doubt it, Cameron will presumably use the whip.

Can't see what bombing will hope to achieve, apart from joining in with the "big boys" :(

---------- Post added 30-11-2015 at 23:55 ----------

Perhaps you should keep up to date. The Tories will have a free vote on the issue just like they did last time.

Didn't see that on the Beeb, is there a link please ? :)

Not a chance. Cameron sees himself as some kind of elder statesman which he is not. And he's arrogant.

It's quite embarrassing to watch him trying to shove himself forward in Europe when they just want him to go away. This is his chance to grab their attention and play with the big boys for once.

Sad really....

Was the previous Syria vote whipped? Has anyone suggested this one will be whipped? Do you post based on facts or hyperbole?

I`m not sure what the answer is in respect of how to deal with ISIS, but there are many people that feel the UK will become more of a target if the bombing goes ahead.

Cameron will presumably use the whip.

What he does in his private life is his business but the whip cannot be used in a free vote (the clue is in the name).

A free vote in Parliament is one in which MPs or members of the Lords are not asked to vote a certain way by their party's Whips. Free votes are allowed, for instance, on issues that are seen as a matter of conscience.

LINK

Didn't see that on the Beeb, is there a link please ? :)

Good question. If it's been announced, they're not making a big deal out of it.

I suspect that the proposal for military action in Syria would pass even if Tory MP's were given a free vote on the matter.

If the Government had whipped the vote to bomb Assad in 2013 we might not have the mess in Syria with IS that we have now.

There's some food for thought.

I'm not sure where you have got this information from. At the time of writing my OP, I certainly did not have such information and my search today has revealed nothing that confirms this.

---------- Post added 30-11-2015 at 20:12 ----------

If the Government had whipped the vote to bomb Assad in 2013 we might not have the mess in Syria with IS that we have now.

There's some food for thought.

If the Government had whipped the vote to bomb Asssad, he probably still wouldn't have got his will to bomb Syria and furthermore if he had been successful in his rush to wade in blindly last time, he'd have been bombing the opposite side he wants to bomb now for over a year!

There's some food for thought!

Edited by Hesther