Muslim Kindness

In the past I sometimes used taxis to get to my workplaces. I am autistic and have a horror of turning up late for work- being self employed and not afforded the usual protections that come with standard employment.

One day a taxi I'd booked failed to show. Checking with the company I found that pre-booking does not guarantee a taxi turning up (as the company simply checks prior to the booking, if a taxi is in the area- if not, then the client is let down). By a combination of running, bus and sheer luck, I made it to the job on time (just).

I ceased to use taxis after that, instead either using buses, or, if the job was within an hours walk, walking to it, carrying a very heavy rucksack of equipment.

As I got older and started suffering from plantar fasciitis- inflammation of the base of the foot, and, got diagnosed with autism, I become eligable for some financial support which meant I could claim back the costs of any taxi fares for work.

Reluctantly, I started to use taxis again, as they stopped my foot being made worse by the stress of long walks with heavy rucksack. I found that the time saved also made prepping and packing for the days job much less stressfull.

Things went fine, until, one day recently, my booked taxi from City cabs, failed to show. I rang the firm and was told to 'ring back in 20 minutes, as it was Eid, and there were no drivers available'. If I rang back in 20 minutes, I would have been late for my regular job on that day, and, being self-employed with little protection, would likely have been sacked.

I went into a panic and begged them to find me a driver, but all they said was ring back in 20 minutes.

I can't explain to people with typical neurology (i.e. not autistic) and jobs with security, or friends/family top help out, how the thought of losing that job made me feel.

I don't often ask for help, but, desperate, I went to my neighbours across the road, as I knew one of them to-speak-to-in-the-street, and, desperate, begged for a lift, offering to pay 'any money' if they did so.

They are muslim, and it was Eid. They got me to work on time, and, refused to accept any money in return (I later bought them a box of medjouli dates as thanks).

I can't say exactly what my mental state would have been like, had I lost that job, but, I think it's fair to say that, without that muslim kindness, I may not have been around today to write this post.

And I know that that kindness, that attitude of helping your neighbours, is, in some way, written into their religious education and is a fundamental requisite of their faith.

So, given the large muslim population of Sheffield, it is a very, very, safe assumption, that there will be many such incidences of muslim kindness, daily, in Sheffield.

Yet, we don't hear of them. I'm not aware of any such posts on this board.

Today you have heard of one.

For what they did for me (on Eid, a family day), the box of Medjouli dates I gave them (as they refused to accept money), is, IMO, too small a thankyou.

So I post this thread, not just as thanks, but in the hope that it can start a thread where other people in this city, when they experience muslim kindness, have somewhere to post the details, and, give their thanks.

I think that could provide some balance in a world seriously lacking it.

This is not a thread for trolling, prejudice and atheist vs religious 'debates'.

I've contacted the mods before posting this, checked they're OK with it, and, asked them to keep a special eye on it, as I fear it might otherwise attract hostile attention..

Lovely story but I'm sure the way you have thanked them will be enough they seem like good people and sometimes thank you my friend is enough.

I've given neightbours lifts to work if they've had car bother and helped out in other ways plenty over the years and vice versa and none of us are religious types. Its less to do with what creed or none people follow and more to do with looking out for your neighbours, which I think we're a lot better at in Sheff than in say London. Sadly i think with social media and smartphones there are increasing numbers of people even in Sheffield who will follow intensly what their facebook 'friends' had for lunch but wouldn't have a clue if a neighbour had fallen ill which is a shame.

I've given neightbours lifts to work if they've had car bother and helped out in other ways plenty over the years and vice versa and none of us are religious types. Its less to do with what creed or none people follow and more to do with looking out for your neighbours, which I think we're a lot better at in Sheff than in say London. Sadly i think with social media and smartphones there are increasing numbers of people even in Sheffield who will follow intensly what their facebook 'friends' had for lunch but wouldn't have a clue if a neighbour had fallen ill which is a shame.

I suspect you wouldn't have given me a lift.

I was only able to ask them because, in the past, unlike all my non-minority race neighbours here, they have attempted to engage me in conversation.

Probably due to me being autistic, I suspect I come across to people as being 'odd', perhaps look a bit dishevelled, and, due to the stress that day, I probably also looked unstable.

So, while you may have been happy to give a lift to a dishevelled, odd looking, unstable seeming neighbour that you've never spoken to before, the sad faact is, I would not have felt able to ask you.

Additionally, and I feel this is important, my muslim neighbours gave me that lift on Eid. Can you honestly say that you'd have given a lift to a dishevelled, odd looking, unstable seeming neighbour, that you've never spoken to before, on Christmas Day?

People were helpful, good. It's no reason to tell someone else that you think they wouldn't be, you don't know Andy76.

I suspect you wouldn't have given me a lift.

I was only able to ask them because, in the past, unlike all my non-minority race neighbours here, they have attempted to engage me in conversation.

Probably due to me being autistic, I suspect I come across to people as being 'odd', perhaps look a bit dishevelled, and, due to the stress that day, I probably also looked unstable.

So, while you may have been happy to give a lift to a dishevelled, odd looking, unstable seeming neighbour that you've never spoken to before, the sad faact is, I would not have felt able to ask you.

Additionally, and I feel this is important, my muslim neighbours gave me that lift on Eid. Can you honestly say that you'd have given a lift to a dishevelled, odd looking, unstable seeming neighbour, that you've never spoken to before, on Christmas Day?

Being absolutely honest it would depend. We alterate between us doing xmas dinner and our lasses sister and brother in law doing it so I'm either up to my neck in sprouts etc or its a lazy day depending whose turn it is. But if I couldn't help a neighbour who was clearly in a tangle out due to just not having the time because I was cooking I'd at least nip round and find one who could, a fair few of the neighbours 'kids' are now driving so I'm sure we'd have got you there one way or another.

I don't know much at all about autism so please don't take this the wrong way but it sounds from your two above posts that its causing you to cut yourself off from your neighbours and create a negative self image which can't be healthy. Assume the best of people and leave it to them to prove you wrong would be my advice, if you assume nobody will help you out then you will never know.

It is not unusual to find incidences of good deeds throughout communities, it's more to do with the fact that they are not publicised and we don't like a fuss.

I have helped and needed help many times from my neighbours.

People will rally round when help is needed no matter your background.

A person once stopped me in a car park and engaged me in conversation about my car. He even offered a little prayer for it saying it was a common practice to offer a prayer for something important. It helps keep it safe. I'm not a religious sort but i gratefully accepted as it was such a nice gesture and he was such a nice bloke. My turbo blew 2 days later and as i was on the recovery truck my thoughts went to a couple of days before in that car park and i had a damn good laugh to myself. The recovery man said nothing but gave me the weirdest look. He probably thought i was trippin or something. There is no real point to this story but i just wanted to share.

So glad everything turned out well for you:)

A young Jordanian couple just bought the house next to mine.I got up a few days ago to find the side area of my house had been cleared of fallen leaves by the new owner, saving me a lot of work. I'll be willing to help him in other things, the way it should be.

Not very long ago I came upon a young chap who had fallen off his cycle. I engaged in conversation with him, the outcome was he could not get back to his car which was several miles away. I offered to take him and his damaged bike back to his starting point where his vehicle was parked up. Loaded his machine in the back of my estate, got him into the front seat with his sore arm and off we went.

On arrival, unloaded his bike, put it into his car, he assured me he could drive ok as I was a little worried about him and his arm. Before he departed he generously offered me £20 for my time and fuel, which I declined to accept.

Moral of the story, I did not ask him what God he prayed to, neither did he ask me the same, religion did not come into the equation - he needed a bit of help which I was glad to give.

I suppose you could put it down to Church of England Kindness. My injured friend was certainly not a Brit, but who cares.

Angel1.

Not very long ago I came upon a young chap who had fallen off his cycle. I engaged in conversation with him, the outcome was he could not get back to his car which was several miles away. I offered to take him and his damaged bike back to his starting point where his vehicle was parked up. Loaded his machine in the back of my estate, got him into the front seat with his sore arm and off we went.

On arrival, unloaded his bike, put it into his car, he assured me he could drive ok as I was a little worried about him and his arm. Before he departed he generously offered me £20 for my time and fuel, which I declined to accept.

Moral of the story, I did not ask him what God he prayed to, neither did he ask me the same, religion did not come into the equation - he needed a bit of help which I was glad to give.

I suppose you could put it down to Church of England Kindness. My injured friend was certainly not a Brit, but who cares.

Angel1.

The moral of this thread is that not all Muslims are bad as we are constantly vilified lately but oinks like you seem to miss the point and come out with posts like yours. :rolleyes: