Tory Grant Shapps resigns

Shapps is a bit of a disaster area, isn't he? It is right that he has gone but it should have been before now; you get the feeling he's been "advised" to resign or else.

Funny how all the Tories on here queue up to post on Labour-related threads but when it's their own party in the news then for some inexplicable reason they go missing

Seems to me that he's saying he did his best, but since this happened on his watch, he's taking responsibility for it.

Good on him.

We could use more politicians with that kind of integrity.

Seems to me that he's saying he did his best, but since this happened on his watch, he's taking responsibility for it.

Good on him.

We could use more politicians with that kind of integrity.

Grant Shapps' integrity.

Funny how all the Tories on here queue up to post on Labour-related threads but when it's their own party in the news then for some inexplicable reason they go missing

What has this thread really got to do with politics ?

I don't really understand the reason why the OP started this thread . What are we suppose to discuss about this human tragedy ?

I don't really understand the reason why the OP started this thread . What are we suppose to discuss about this human tragedy ?

The man who resigned was the co-chairman of the party that governs the country and the issues revolve around aspects of their political campaigning. That's quite a political angle.

I share your sentiment about the young lad who died though. Tragic.

I started this thread because newspapers were covering it. I also started this thread because the party insisted that it had no record of any complaints against Clarke's conduct, but Lady Warsi's letter contradicts this. She also claims that she was a victim of Clarke's bullying. Clarke is also said to have blackmailed another Tory MP.

There's a great deal more to this than the tragic death of Elliot Johnson.

Because its frontpage news? Are you being serious? He's a minister he resigned. That doesnt happen every day.

Dont you think bullying is an important issue? Dont you think the person who commited sucide would wnat what he went through discussed and steps taken to aboid it happening again?

Edited by 999tigger

Because its frontpage news? Are you being serious? He's a minister he resigned. That doesnt happen every day.

Dont you think bullying is an important issue? Dont you think the person who commited sucide would wnat what he went through discussed and steps taken to aboid it happening again?

I thought it was the job of the coroner to determine why the young man committed suicide . There is rarely just one reason why a person decides to commit suicide .

I thought it was the job of the coroner to determine why the young man committed suicide . There is rarely just one reason why a person decides to commit suicide .

He wrote a suicide note which mentioned bullying by party officials.

Well I do think that when a government minister resigns it's got rather a lot to do with politics.

I was listening to radio 4 and judging by what they said, this Mark Clarke is an extremely unpleasant character (alegedly) and has been up to all sorts to get his own way. The young man who committed suicide had complained about him to Grant Schapps, in his capacity as Tory party chairman, but he did nothing about it.

Elliot Johnson's complaint wasn't the only one, to the extent that Mark Clarke had already been suspended by the party after his behaviour following his defeat in the 2010 General election. The bottom line is, it was Grant Schapps responsibility to investigate, which he failed to do. So he was right to resign.

No doubt he will bounce back into another government position soon enough. Something poor Elliot Johnson is never going to do now...