URGENT!! Steel Seal and blown head gasket

Hi,

I've got a problem with my car, it's got a suspected blown head gasket, and unfortunately I don't really have the time to get it repaired yet but also I can't do without it. I've been quoted £350-400 to repair the headgasket, replace all fluids, replace the centre section of my exhaust pipe and a new cam belt.

But I was also told about steel seal as a possible temporary fix and wanted to know whether anyone had used it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steel-Seal-SS-Gasket-Repair/dp/B004FTUBY2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1448626380&sr=8-2&keywords=steel+seal

thanks in advance

I have used K-Seal successfully on what looked like a cylinder to water jacket leak. Still OK (fingers crossed) after a couple of thousand miles. I think K-Seal is reckoned to fix 8/10 blown head gaskets. K-Seal is about £10 per bottle.

Edited by fatrajah

Where can you get K Seal from in Sheffield?

Most car spares sell it. It's really popular with rover engines.

I used K-seal in an old Peugeot, it didn't fix the problem but did seem to lengthen the life before it finally popped it's cloggs.

Used steelseal in an old Rover 1.4 K series.

It was leaking oil/coolant from the headgasket (could see it coming out).

Followed the instructions to the letter, and the car managed another 6K miles.

Only worth looking at if car is uneconomical to repair.

Might work, might mess up heater, valves, thermostat or other bits.

If you want to use it make sure you can get a new one if needed.

You need to get it done pdq, that price is a very reasonable price for that work make sure they use a good quality or MLS type head gasket, all those type of sealants are just temporary and it will fail sooner or later overheating and damaging the engine costing a lot more than 300 quid ...

^^^^^like he said I'm a motorcycle mechanic and wouldnt dream of putting that in a liquid cooled engine .

The price is very reasonable my son was quoted £900 for a corsa 1.0 !

There are no short cuts to head gasket failure your likely to warp the cylinder head

Damage radiator etc etc etc

Hi,

I've got a problem with my car, it's got a suspected blown head gasket, and unfortunately I don't really have the time to get it repaired yet but also I can't do without it. I've been quoted £350-400 to repair the headgasket, replace all fluids, replace the centre section of my exhaust pipe and a new cam belt.

350 -400 is a decent price

Hi,

I've got a problem with my car, it's got a suspected blown head gasket, and unfortunately I don't really have the time to get it repaired yet but also I can't do without it. I've been quoted ]£350-400 to repair the headgasket, replace all fluids, replace the centre section of my exhaust pipe and a new cam belt.

But I was also told about steel seal as a possible temporary fix and wanted to know whether anyone had used it.thanks in advance

Make sure they skim the the head if it needs it. The price seems too cheap for the work mentioned-new cam belt- piece of exhaust pipe fitted also. I`m guessing it is a friend that is doing the work, not a garage at that price.