Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

Get ready for the people saying only 76% took part, so surely it's really only 74.5% that were in support. Still considerably higher than any government since WW2 has got in a general election which stands at 49%.

I do partially think what the Government is offering has been misrepresented, but they still didn't listen to these doctors and try to find middle ground. They just kept on with the same tired argument over and over so now here we are. I feel for anyone having to attend hospital over the next few weeks, and just as sorry for the doctors and nurses who have been forced into this position.

I do partially think what the Government is offering has been misrepresented.

I would not trust either side, but the doctors will get the support. It could cost Hunt his job, it should.

Have they had the same small pay rises as most other public sector workers?

They are being 'offered' a new contract which will in real terms be a large cut in pay, and expect them to work many more hours, to the point where patient safety will be severely at risk.

They are being 'offered' a new contract which will in real terms be a large cut in pay, and expect them to work many more hours, to the point where patient safety will be severely at risk.

Yes, I am aware of what they have been offered. I'm hardly one to defend Jeremy Hunt am I? Just saying I think he is partially right, that the offer to them is very different to what the general public think. It's still a pile of dog doo though.

With life expectancy approaching 90 we will very soon have to face up to the reality of allowing folks to be retired for longer than they actually worked.

Yes, I am aware of what they have been offered. I'm hardly one to defend Jeremy Hunt am I? Just saying I think he is partially right, that the offer to them is very different to what the general public think. It's still a pile of dog doo though.

I was answering El Cid. His post is directly above mine.

---------- Post added 19-11-2015 at 12:56 ----------

With life expectancy approaching 90 we will very soon have to face up to the reality of allowing folks to be retired for longer than they actually worked.

Retirement age is rising and will continue to do so to avoid that problem.

I was answering El Cid. His post is directly above mine.

Sorry :hihi:

Retirement age is rising and will continue to do so to avoid that problem.

So what would the retirement age be now for a doctor compared to say 20 years ago?

So what would the retirement age be now for a doctor compared to say 20 years ago?

Feel free to use google yourself of course.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-1679780/New-state-pension-age-retire.html

For many years, the state pension age for men was 65 and the state pension age for women was 60. But from 2020, both men and women's state pension age will be 66, increasing to 67 between 2026 and 2028, and then linked to life expectancy after that.

The government will then review the state pension age every five years.

This will see those in their early 20s now have to wait until they're at least 70 before they can take their state pension.

But the pension age for doctors is 60 and has been for decades.

Is the NHS pension was based upon time in service?