Syria megathread- is British government desperate for another war?

Military action in Syria ?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Military action in Syria ?

• None at all.
    • Limited air/cruise missile strikes.
    • As much, including ground troops, as is needed.

MODERATOR'S MESSAGE:

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Why does Mr Cameron an Co appear to be wanting to get Britain involved in another middle east war? We can always find money for a war but cannot find it to put our own house in order.Nursing homes are closing by the dozen,welfare for the older generation is being cut back,we are slowly being robbed of the privileges that we fought two world wars for i.e. freedom of speech and freedom of movement.we are being fleeced by inept councils in parking charges,libraries closing,all amenity charges going through the roof,dustbins emptying twice a month.They can find money to put more white paint on the roads than there is on the firth of forth bridge yes i do its not white,but no money to put smiles on our nations faces like i remember a few years ago.Yes lets have another war and a few more of our young lads killed at least they will not be on the dole.Do we really need to be involved in the middle east,its time that we stopped being Americas lapdog.We should being trying to make peace with other countries not fighting them why do we need to be seen as a mighty nation when we are not,we should be involving these countries in our trading markets not isolating them.I dont see Iceland or Greenland and most other Nordic countries wanting to be involved in warlike activities so why should this little country.I came to the conclusion a while ago that it is the battle of politicians egos that we should be fighting not peoples as a whole.:rant:

Why does Mr Cameron an Co appear to be wanting to get Britain involved in another middle east war? We can always find money for a war but cannot find it to put our own house in order.Nursing homes are closing by the dozen,welfare for the older generation is being cut back,we are slowly being robbed of the privileges that we fought two world wars for i.e. freedom of speech and freedom of movement.we are being fleeced by inept councils in parking charges,libraries closing,all amenity charges going through the roof,dustbins emptying twice a month.They can find money to put more white paint on the roads than there is on the firth of forth bridge yes i do its not white,but no money to put smiles on our nations faces like i remember a few years ago.Yes lets have another war and a few more of our young lads killed at least they will not be on the dole.Do we really need to be involved in the middle east,its time that we stopped being Americas lapdog.We should being trying to make peace with other countries not fighting them why do we need to be seen as a mighty nation when we are not,we should be involving these countries in our trading markets not isolating them.I dont see Iceland or Greenland and most other Nordic countries wanting to be involved in warlike activities so why should this little country.I came to the conclusion a while ago that it is the battle of politicians egos that we should be fighting not peoples as a whole.:rant:

I didn't know nursing homes were being shut - most are private (and have been for years). Also if we do attack Syria it will be with, hopefully un backing. And in Afghanistan there are or have been troops from Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland.

It distracts attention away from current issues

I didn't know nursing homes were being shut - most are private (and have been for years). Also if we do attack Syria it will be with, hopefully un backing. And in Afghanistan there are or have been troops from Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland.

Yes, nursing homes are closing, overcome with debt.

Unfortunately UN backing will not include Russia, allies of Syria, who are against intervention and will see it as a highly agressive move. China is none too happy about it either. That's where the danger lies.

The Government is busy saying with every announcement that action would not require UN mandate but can be justified under international law. Sounds familiar?

Interfering in another conflict would be a godsend for Cameron, always the best way to deflect attention from troubles at home. He may find it more difficult to sell to the public than Iraq and Afghanistan though, I can't see how he can engineer a domestic threat this time.

We've no business interfering in Syria.

Russia and China have far more influence over there, they should do the heavy lifting on this one - let them sort it out.

We've no business interfering in Syria.

Russia and China have far more influence over there, they should do the heavy lifting on this one - let them sort it out.

And if they don't?

The government can't win on this one. Either they don't go in, and we end up with another holocaust, or we do go in, and people call them warmongers and say there was no need.

If they can't sort the problem out by exerting political pressure then it's a job for the UN.

Thats what the UN is for, it's not for the US and us to play global policeman.

The UN are utterly useless. They would still be discussing things and everyone in Syria would be dead.

Perhaps thats a problem that needs addressing then, rather than just going about doing what we please maybe we should fix the broken system that is supposed to be protecting people?

You can't do things like that by committee. It needs one person to say yes or no.