Junior Doctors row: 98% vote to strike

That's one hypothesis. Another is that modern medicine, other than emergency repairs, isn't that good, in that, overall, maybe it kills more patients than it saves.

It could also be a combination of the 2.

Do you have any evidence that it's 1 rather than 2?

I think that lots of evidence exists of risky procedures not being being carried out in hospitals when doctors aren't around. For example, I do not believe that much surgery is carried out when doctors aren't present.

That's one hypothesis. Another is that modern medicine, other than emergency repairs, isn't that good, in that, overall, maybe it kills more patients than it saves.

It could also be a combination of the 2.

Do you have any evidence that it's 1 rather than 2?

I think that lots of evidence exists of risky procedures not being being carried out in hospitals when doctors aren't around. For example, I do not believe that much surgery is carried out when doctors aren't present.

You're right- clearly, if dangerous procedures aren't being performed, then they can't hurt people, which will lower the mortality stats for that period.

You're right- clearly, if dangerous procedures aren't being performed, then they can't hurt people, which will lower the mortality stats for that period.

You have to remember that although mortality would drop for the period that the risky procedures aren't carried out, if they stopped doing them altogether then the mortality rate would then increase dramatically.

When elective surgeries are being carried out large numbers of the seriously unwell are gathered in one place (hospital), when electives arent being carried out they are at home (own home, nursing home, whatever), thus reducing in-hospital mortality rate.

You have to remember that although mortality would drop for the period that the risky procedures aren't carried out, if they stopped doing them altogether then the mortality rate would then increase dramatically.

Yes- I think I've mentioned before that I've had my IQ extensively tested, and, when it comes to purely logical analysis (and also 'innovative solutions' part of the tests) I have exceptionaly high spikes putting me in the 99th to 99.9th percentile.

So I did realise the above. Not knocking you, just, for future reference, I'm very good with logical reason. My only issues are with communication (or rather, our issue, as a communication issue is only possible to overcome if both parties adjust).

I do appreciate that saved lives during a strike for that reason, would not continue once the strikes over, and the risky procedures restart.

I do recall recently seeing some kind of research concluding that, in the US, the medical system had been found to be the 3rd leading cause of death. I didn't follow it up, but it seemed to have some promising points.

Are you aware of it? Is it worth me trying to dig it up and post it on here?

Yes- I think I've mentioned before that I've had my IQ extensively tested, and, when it comes to purely logical analysis (and also 'innovative solutions' part of the tests) I have exceptionaly high spikes putting me in the 99th to 99.9th percentile.

So I did realise the above. Not knocking you, just, for future reference, I'm very good with logical reason. My only issues are with communication (or rather, our issue, as a communication issue is only possible to overcome if both parties adjust).

I do appreciate that saved lives during a strike for that reason, would not continue once the strikes over, and the risky procedures restart.

I do recall recently seeing some kind of research concluding that, in the US, the medical system had been found to be the 3rd leading cause of death. I didn't follow it up, but it seemed to have some promising points.

Are you aware of it? Is it worth me trying to dig it up and post it on here?

I'm sorry if from time to time I forget how cleaver you are. Being a neuro-typical I don't have a perfect memory, maybe you could make some allowance for that? I don't know if you've noticed this but there are lots of users on here you know.

Maybe you could remind us in each of your posts how cleaver you are, so it's not so easy to forget?

I'm sorry if from time to time I forget how cleaver you are. Being a neuro-typical I don't have a perfect memory, maybe you could make some allowance for that? I don't know if you've noticed this but there are lots of users on here you know.

Maybe you could remind us in each of your posts how cleaver you are, so it's not so easy to forget?

I'm not clever. Intelligence is far from being about pure logic. To get on in life it's way more important to have 'social intelligence' in which 'stupid' would better describe me :)

All I've got is exceptional ability in pure logic and innovative problem solving, which is, in many ways, if anything, a positive block when it comes to succeeding in social life i.e. relationships/career.

My intelligence spikes will likely never be utilised as they could be, as my social difficulties mean I'll never have a 'career' (I was 47 when diagnosed with autism, a bit late in career terms) and due to extreme social isolation, in addition I'm dealing with serious mental health issues.

Still working though- very part time, but I've kept it up through some very difficult times, and, always ensured that my issues don't affect it.

But thank you for your idea- obviously I can't be reminding people about either my intelligence or my autism in every post (cue here an opportunity for the sharp-witted i.e. "well you seem to be managing it up to now" :))- however, I'm thinking maybe to contact the help desk and see if there's some way of maybe replacing the 'registered user' phrase in the box on the left, with, say 'autistic user'. I think that might help a bit.

Strike called off after Hunt backs down.

"back down" is a bit of a strong term.

Agreements are to be made. Consultation and discussions are to take place.

Its not quite so black and white.

Its no any different to what the tube workers and fire service predictably do once a year every year. Threat threat threat and then back down and agree to get round the table for more discussion.

Although in this case Mr. Hunt is the one who has "backed down" - you may consider it a "strong term", but nevertheless it is accurate - albeit predictable and so avoidable

It's a wonder that the idiot hasn't been forced to resign yet. He couldn't be mismanaging the situation much worse.

It's a wonder that the idiot hasn't been forced to resign yet. He couldn't be mismanaging the situation much worse.

He's being the hatchet man for all the changes that the government wants to force upon the NHS, it's more than likely that the compromise that both side will agree upon will be close to what the government wanted all along. I think that it'll look something like a 6 day week, with Saturday not being a normal day but a lot more increased productivity.

When the reforms that are wanted look like they're going through, Hunt will go and someone else will come in to rebuild the relationships.