Re home a dog from animal sanctuary

Been out today to try and re home a dog ,from a local animal sanctuary

A bit shocked really her I am trying to give a dog an ex home .but they require

185/250 pounds for one at 5 year old and a cross breed at that I thought the idea was to give a dog a new start, I know that there has to be a charge

But think it's a lot of money at that price. ,

Been out today to try and re home a dog ,from a local animal sanctuary

A bit shocked really her I am trying to give a dog an ex home .but they require

185/250 pounds for one at 5 year old and a cross breed at that I thought the idea was to give a dog a new start, I know that there has to be a charge

But think it's a lot of money at that price. ,

Rotherham Dog Rescue, Rain Rescue, Thornberry and Dogs Trust don't ask for that amount of adoption fee so not sure where you've been looking.

Also, if you are serious about giving a dog a good home then that fee wouldn't bother you, and remember they will have been vaccinated, spayed/neutered, flead, wormed, microchipped before you adopt them so just think of the costs involved there.

If you think that's too much then maybe a dog isn't for you, because vets fees can be a damn sight more than that!!

The fact that you say 'and a crossbreed at that' is shocking!!! They aren't some sort of second class type of dog!!!!

Lien1 Do you work if you do most rescue centres won't let you have a dog. I know its stupid but it seems they only want to let people that can't afford the after care to have dogs.

Lien1 Do you work if you do most rescue centres won't let you have a dog. I know its stupid but it seems they only want to let people that can't afford the after care to have dogs.

That is a ridiculous thing to say!!! Most dog owners work, and we work full time and adopted a rescue dog but ensured someone was able to let them have a toilet break during the day.

Don't talk utter rubbish when you obviously don't know what you're talking about!!

That is a ridiculous thing to say!!! Most dog owners work, and we work full time and adopted a rescue dog but ensured someone was able to let them have a toilet break during the day.

Don't talk utter rubbish when you obviously don't know what you're talking about!!

I agree, I had my dog for 16 years and I paid someone to look after him while I was at work. I am retired now and I miss him so much that i'm not sure I could ever go through that pain again

No the dog is for a gent who lives up the road from me who is retired who has just lost his old dog due to ill health so was looking for a small dog to re home

Still think the charge is a bit steep maybe that's why they struggle to re home pets

I do know what I'm talking about me and my hubby phoned around a lot of rescue centers when we told them our hours of work we where told they would not be able to help us.

No the dog is for a gent who lives up the road from me who is retired who has just lost his old dog due to ill health so was looking for a small dog to re home

Still think the charge is a bit steep maybe that's why they struggle to re home pets

They don't struggle to rehome them, you only need to look at the amount these rescues rehome every month to see that. The rescues won't just let anyone take them saying they are for a neighbour, they have protocols to follow, need to meet prospective owners, do home checks etc.

Maybe the chap should go himself to find a suitable dog and discuss it with the rescue.

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 16:18 ----------

I do know what I'm talking about me and my hubby phoned around a lot of rescue centers when we told them our hours of work we where told they would not be able to help us.

And you just left it there and gave up????

You need to show you are serious, visit the dog, explain what you will do regarding toilet breaks/walks etc while you're at work....let's face it would you want to be completely alone with no chance of going to the toilet for over 8 hours a day!!!

We explained on the phone that my mum would nip round to let it out but they said people can let you down. So my mum coming round was not good enough. That's when we gave up on them and got a pup.

Rotherham Dog Rescue, Rain Rescue, Thornberry and Dogs Trust don't ask for that amount of adoption fee so not sure where you've been looking.

Also, if you are serious about giving a dog a good home then that fee wouldn't bother you, and remember they will have been vaccinated, spayed/neutered, flead, wormed, microchipped before you adopt them so just think of the costs involved there.

If you think that's too much then maybe a dog isn't for you, because vets fees can be a damn sight more than that!!

The fact that you say 'and a crossbreed at that' is shocking!!! They aren't some sort of second class type of dog!!!!

I agree that if you can't afford a dog then you can't afford vets fees applies if you are working but as the person wanting it has retired they can probably take dog to PDSA for most things apart from vaccinations and I've just looked at Rain rescues site and they do charge £250 which includes vaccinations, neutering etc but the neutering can be done free at some vets

We explained on the phone that my mum would nip round to let it out but they said people can let you down. So my mum coming round was not good enough. That's when we gave up on them and got a pup.

Maybe they had other reason then because lots of dogs are re-homes to people who work full time. Only they could give you the explanation but that's certainly not a reason for a definite no.

---------- Post added 18-01-2015 at 16:25 ----------

I agree that if you can't afford a dog then you can't afford vets fees applies if you are working but as the person wanting it has retired they can probably take dog to PDSA for most things apart from vaccinations and I've just looked at Rain rescues site and they do charge £250 which includes vaccinations, neutering etc but the neutering can be done free at some vets

It depends which adoption package the dog is on at rain rescue, some are adopted with no charge, some £100, some £200+....each dog of theirs is different and the individual write ups explain why.

I can't think of any other reason they would have said no. I told them the amounts of walk I take my other dog on I also told them the dog would be insured and that it would not be kept in a cage.