Temporary homing - what are my options?

Evening all

I wondered if anyone knew what my options would be for trying to find a temporary home for my two cats? Is there such a person as a foster carer for cats?

I really hope not to have to permanently re home them, but i am relocating and will be having to rent for a while, so whilst I will obviously be trying to find a landlord happy for me to move them in, I want to cover all possibilities as the move could need to happen quickly.

I would want to think about a possible 6 months foster care for them, just to cover what I expect will be the likely tenancy agreement I will have to sign up to. I would prefer not to use a cattery for that long (and would work out v expensive too I imagine!!) unless anyone has a recommendation for that option. I'm moving from Sheffield to Nottingham so can consider anything on either of those cities, or anywhere in between.

Any advice would be appreciated. I've tried family and friends and so far no one can take them on.

Thank you in advance ?

You can get reduced rates for long term stays. If its for spring and summer consider a shed with attached run at a relative or friends house. That's how my cats used to spend their holidays. I do know people that have rented with cats if they have spoken to the landlord.

Just don't tell the landlord! If your cats are well behaved, don't pee on stuff and don't destroy things then just don't tell them. It's unlikely they will be calling round without notice. Sure I will get grief for suggesting it but loads of people rent houses and have cats when they are not supposed to.

Worst case, they find out, they either accept you with cats or have to re-let the place. Or you then try foster them for the remainder of the tenancy.

Most letting agents state 'No Pets'. However, it's down the home owner to make that decision, not the letting agent. My old landlord agreed to me having a dog straight after I moved in despite the agents 'Strict No Pets Policy' and when I moved, I had no trouble finding another landlord that was happy about me having a dog.

Just ask, you'll probably find it easier than you think to find a home where pets are allowed. Take no notice if it says 'No Pets', ask anyway.

I can highly recommend Lee too, I have recently used his service, have a look at his fb page to see my happy dog. He is honest, a true animal lover, if you would like to know anything more please pm me. Good luck :)

I would agree with the ask first policy when it comes to renting. And that's because a lot of people, including myself, are allergic to cats - so to not tell or ask a landlord is unfair.

Good luck

speak with your landlord make him aware even off a extra bond if renting furnished or offer to ensure a full end of tenancy clean at your cost.

although you think a cattery maybe expensive as suggested make enquires and see what your options are.

obv i feel cats are better in there own home and surroundings,however where not possible id suggest a cattery as totally safe.as if they are in foster/temp care in some ones home and they get out/lost/injured its a worry.

imo safer option with you,cattery or as suggested a shed with family,

good luck xx

Thank you everyone ? it's good to hear that it might be easier than I thought finding a rental that will let me keep my kitties! I will consider all options suggested otherwise though, thank you again, I feel much less stressed about it already!