Cannon Pub, Castle Street

Seriously fond and painful memories of the Cannon.Particularly Christmas Eve lunchtime sessions 1979/81 and every Friday at that time and this was definitely downstairs!! (don't think I ever went in the upstairs bar!!)It was the venue of choice for the crowd I knocked around with and if I get second hand lung cancer in future I know where from!!(I never smoked myself).If I ever hear "Rhythm of the rain" by the Cascades it takes me straight back to the great jukebox!! It was quite rough though.What did I know I was 18.....Did get my nose broken on the stairs by someone who objected to something or other but only violent incident I was directly involved in.I remember once a rather worse for wear person being carried out,up the stairs ,on a ladder!! What a pub!

Can't quite believe now that I ever went in!!!

Yep I can relate with that, a similar thing happened to me in the Heartbeat on Queens Rd in the late 60s.We both finished up in the A&E glaring at each other.

We shook hands after!

Weird or what? Good times though over all ;)

Quite right - in the 1970s it was a regular pub lunch venue for me and my colleagues from the Midland Bank round the corner (now the Banker's Draft pub - definitely a change for the better..:)) In c. 1997 I went in one lunchtime wearing a suit, and I reckon half a dozen pairs of eyes followed me up to the bar - their owners perhaps deciding how much they could do me for. I downed a quick half of bitter - it wasn't bad - and legged it to the Three Cranes.

Dear Hillsbro you are very clued up on old Sheff.Can you tell me what pub I am thinking of it was in the mid sixties and it stood near to where you would go to tax your car.If my memory serves me correctly you went pass the front of the main library walk across the road near the main entrance to a side street and just past the road tax office was a pub.One of the first pubs I went in but I think it was about to be demolished .Any ideas?

Hi petcharlie - the motor tax office was on Eyre Street, and 1950s/60s directories don't show any pubs along this street or the adjacent parts of streets nearby - Norfolk Lane, Howard Street etc. so I'm a bit at a loss..:confused: Perhaps another Forummer can help?

Hi petcharlie - the motor tax office was on Eyre Street, and 1950s/60s directories don't show any pubs along this street or the adjacent parts of streets nearby - Norfolk Lane, Howard Street etc. so I'm a bit at a loss..:confused: Perhaps another Forummer can help?

The Globe on Howard Street?

The Globe on Howard Street?
Yes, there was The Globe, an old-established pub that (along with the Cossack on the other side) is shown in 1960s directories. Although petcharlie doesn't mention going downhill (and the Globe wasn't demolished) it's a possibility.

The Lyceum on Tudor Street was near the Central Library, where the Crucible is now.

Dear Hillsbro you are very clued up on old Sheff.Can you tell me what pub I am thinking of it was in the mid sixties and it stood near to where you would go to tax your car.If my memory serves me correctly you went pass the front of the main library walk across the road near the main entrance to a side street and just past the road tax office was a pub.One of the first pubs I went in but I think it was about to be demolished .Any ideas?

A pub near the library about to be demolished around that time was the Adelphi.

Yes, there was The Globe, an old-established pub that (along with the Cossack on the other side) is shown in 1960s directories. Although petcharlie doesn't mention going downhill (and the Globe wasn't demolished) it's a possibility.

A little story about the Globe in the sixty's.

An old bricklayer that I worked with who was called Marsdon had had a skinfull one Saturday night .

Massie [his moniker] took a liking to the brass ornaments that were part of the Globes decor in those days,especially the one that consisted of a monkey climbing a palm tree .

Now Massie some how ended up with that three foot tall monkey stuck up inside his macintosh as he boarded the 105 bus to the Arbourthorne.

The next morning Massie was awakened by his wife who was demanding to be told how they had acquired a monkey climbing a palm tree on their fireplace hearth.

Now Massie was no thief and he slowly realised that the monkey must have followed him home from the Globe and he decided that it must be returned.

Sunday lunch ,Massie in same Macintosh enters Globe with monkey tucked inside coat.

Goes to bar orders pint, forgets to keep holding monkey and the bleedin thing drops on the floor.

Old fashioned land lady in C and A frock says without looking up.

"Put him back on't window cill love we watched thi stuff it up thi coat and knew tha'd bring him back thats one and a tanner please"

A pub near the library about to be demolished around that time was the Adelphi.

Adelphi, yes that's the place I meant. The Lyceum is the theatre..silly me!

Thanks hillsbro and steptre for your efforts.It was not the globe I know that for certain.As someone said it could have been the Adelphi not sure.But when I went in it was standing all on it's own and was a pokey little place possible a stones pub.It looked as if the area was being cleared for redeveloping and the layout of the streets were all to different to how it is now thanks for trying anyway.

Thanks hillsbro and steptre for your efforts.It was not the globe I know that for certain.As someone said it could have been the Adelphi not sure.But when I went in it was standing all on it's own and was a pokey little place possible a stones pub.It looked as if the area was being cleared for redeveloping and the layout of the streets were all to different to how it is now thanks for trying anyway.

The Adelphi was Stones but not pokey. The Lord Nelson (Fanny's) fits the bill but it's still there and in an area that hasn't been redeveloped.

The Adelphi was Stones but not pokey. The Lord Nelson (Fanny's) fits the bill but it's still there and in an area that hasn't been redeveloped.

Thanks Jim you are right it was not the Nelson I know that well one of my haunts in the sixties in the dive bar.I think you must be correct saying it was the Adelphi but it seemed small but you know how it is when you are about 17 and knocking them back as if you are a old hand at it.Thanks for your input.