Cannon Pub, Castle Street

the cannon city centre.anyone heard rumours about it eing bought and opening as a pub again,,,thats the rumour going round town..

just end up like it did before.cant see it opening ever again..

Tell you the saturday afternoon sessions in cannon down stairs were fantastic yard of ale contest great music no violence it was the place to be loved it .....

Tell you the saturday afternoon sessions in cannon down stairs were fantastic yard of ale contest great music no violence it was the place to be loved it .....

That's a lot of years ago, that basement room has been flooded for a long time.

The pub that got closed and slammed as a 'den of thieves ' went in a few times used to visit the Market Tavern, Hen and Chickens and the Parkway Traven too. I only remember the Cannon as a rough and ready boozer was that always the case ?

Theives den.

wasn't always like that

The pub that got closed and slammed as a 'den of thieves ' went in a few times used to visit the Market Tavern, Hen and Chickens and the Parkway Traven too. I only remember the Cannon as a rough and ready boozer was that always the case ?

It was general knowledge, that if you wanted to pay less than market prices for anything locally, such as meat etc. just ask in the Cannon, and within the time of supping a pint, your order was fulfilled. Never tried it myself by the way!:suspect:

I am pleased that it was shut down. Den of iniquity!

Edited by yorky15

Saturday afternoon disco downstairs fantastic yard of ale competition great pub Tommy green ran it and it was once the best pub in town

wasn't always like that
Quite right - in the 1970s it was a regular pub lunch venue for me and my colleagues from the Midland Bank round the corner (now the Banker's Draft pub - definitely a change for the better..:)) In c. 1997 I went in one lunchtime wearing a suit, and I reckon half a dozen pairs of eyes followed me up to the bar - their owners perhaps deciding how much they could do me for. I downed a quick half of bitter - it wasn't bad - and legged it to the Three Cranes.

Saturday afternoon disco downstairs fantastic yard of ale competition great pub Tommy green ran it and it was once the best pub in town

Unless I'm deluded. that place was no where near 'the best pub in town', not by a million miles!

Unless I'm deluded. that place was no where near 'the best pub in town', not by a million miles!

It was!.

The Cannon along with the Adelphi [built on by the Crucible] were the two finest pubs in Sheffield during the sixties and seventies.

The Cannon was in fact an unofficial labour exchange where workers from the building trade would congregate so as to find the latest job paying the top money, [You could pack a job in on Monday and be back in another by Tuesday on better money] .

There was also a well known poem going around at that time entitled ,Where shall I go tonight Cannon or Adelphi.