Are fog lights necessary?

Have you had the fog where you live?

Those fog lights were really bright. I saw an old vintage car, no fog lights, just little round rear lights.

Those old cars need fog lights, but with the brightness of modern vehicle lights; do they need extra rear lights?

I think it was about half and half, some using them and some not. I could see peoples lights 100m away, so I guess that means I dont need to use them?

Have you had the fog where you live?

Those fog lights were really bright. I saw an old vintage car, no fog lights, just little round rear lights.

Those old cars need fog lights, but with the brightness of modern vehicle lights; do they need extra rear lights?

I think it was about half and half, some using them and some not. I could see peoples lights 100m away, so I guess that means I dont need to use them?

Yes, there has been fog where I live today. The fog was only light and some cars had their full lights on, some just had side lights on and some had no lights on. I never saw any vehicles with fog lights on, but I managed to see all vehicles clearly, whether they had any lights on or not.

You make a good point about old vintage vehicles not having an option to switch fog lights on. Perhaps, there should be new legislation, that all vehicles on public roads should be fitted, with fog lights regardless of when they were manufactured or first registered.

Fog in Swallownest yesterday, not thick but loads of people with rear fogs on. Some so stupidly bright I had to increase the distance a bit.

Fog in Swallownest yesterday, not thick but loads of people with rear fogs on. Some so stupidly bright I had to increase the distance a bit.

That is what I found, not too bad on the motorway, where vehicles were a good distance apart, but in built up areas, the lights were really too bright.

That's possibly the reason they're designed (brightness wise)

They are possibly unnecessary in the busy city though.

I don't like to see them on in built up areas/traffic. However, I find them useful when in the sticks, and also better when in thick fog on the motorway*.

edit: *mind you saying that, most people don't seem to use them, and with this knowledge I tend to increase my distance anyway

Edited by *_ash_*

T

edit: *mind you saying that, most people don't seem to use them, and with this knowledge I tend to increase my distance anyway

then theres the ones who leave them on for a month after the fogs gone blinding people behind.

then theres the ones who leave them on for a month after the fogs gone blinding people behind.

yeah.

Idiots. Too busy twitfacing or summat.

In my everyday driving, bright lights are generally less of a problem than people not putting ON their lights when it gets dark. Ironically this seems more common when it's raining!

Like the folks who sit at traffic lights indicators flashing, foot on footbrake......

Like the folks who sit at traffic lights indicators flashing, foot on footbrake......

Or parked on the wrong side of the road, with headlights on. Especially 4x4s.

ALWAYS women too, I'm afraid to say as that's blatantly sexist.

I've only encountered a few occasions where fog lights were really necessary. But when they were you would struggle to see a car with lights on just a few metres in front. Still, there are those that drive with no lights at all and just pop out if the fog right on top of you.

That's possibly the reason they're designed (brightness wise)

They are possibly unnecessary in the busy city though.

I don't like to see them on in built up areas/traffic. However, I find them useful when in the sticks, and also better when in thick fog on the motorway*.

If you're increasing distance, then it follows that you can see the vehicle in front. If you can see the vehicle, then it doesn't need additional fog lights.

They don't leave them on -they will have to turn them on each time they get in the car (or have the battery go flat on them.)

Fog lamps are turned on to make other drivers aware that the car is being piloted by a bit of a knob. The number of times that I've *required* fog lamps on in the last thirty years can be counted on one hand in the UK...