Call to fight obesity with standard portions of fish and chips

What is it with these people wanting to control what we eat and how much. A lot of places offer standard or large fish anyway. Also chips are often offered in two portion sizes, you have a choice of the size you want to buy. If you want a small portion buy a small portion.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/call-fight-obesity-standard-portions-062300903.html

I know! Saw this on the news earlier and it made me laugh. What next, portion control inspectors knocking on your door to check that you're not over indulging on your Sunday lunch?! For goodness sake, we can't babysit everyone all if the time. There will always be people who eat too much, no matter how black and white you make it for them. It won't make an ounce of difference to the people they're trying to target. And also, as someone who is quite cautious of, and capable of watching what she eats, i dont want a guilt trip if i decide to go to the chippy for tea once in a while!

What is it with these people wanting to control what we eat and how much. A lot of places offer standard or large fish anyway. Also chips are often offered in two portion sizes, you have a choice of the size you want to buy. If you want a small portion buy a small portion.

https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/call-fight-obesity-standard-portions-062300903.html

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ejcn2016234a.html

Someone just linked this to me. Relevant.

Its the health police again.

I only buy large fish and large chips. Yeah im fat ,but i dont care. Im not having some jumped up jobsworth telling me what i can and cannot eat .

Just looks like a bit of smart marketing to me.

They are telling consumers they can already have a takeaway with smaller portion sizes, and that the fish & chips industry is proactive in helping tackle the obesity issues in this country.

Go in most chippies and you have the option of a small or large fish already. Fish and chips doesn't make you fat either. This country was slim for decades on fish and chips being practically the only takeway going, and some people ate it several times a week.

It was only when the American fast food industry got a hold here that things went down the swanny.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 22:12 ----------

Its the health police again.

I only buy large fish and large chips. Yeah im fat ,but i dont care. Im not having some jumped up jobsworth telling me what i can and cannot eat .

Good for you mate.

Maybe they could serve a decent chunk of fish instead of a massive load of batter with a streak of fish painted between.

I occasionally go to a certain chippy, and ask for a small portion of chips, but always end up with enough to feed a family of 4....Guess what I do?...I take a small portion from the packet and eat those. Just because I bought the chips, doesn't mean I am obliged to eat all of them...Only what I need / want. Ok it's a shame to throw the balance away, but it's not my fault the portion sizes are huge.

I would only agree with portion control, in order to cut wastage...It's got bugger all to do with my waistline.

I occasionally go to a certain chippy, and ask for a small portion of chips, but always end up with enough to feed a family of 4....Guess what I do?...I take a small portion from the packet and eat those. Just because I bought the chips, doesn't mean I am obliged to eat all of them...Only what I need / want. Ok it's a shame to throw the balance away, but it's not my fault the portion sizes are huge.

I would only agree with portion control, in order to cut wastage...It's got bugger all to do with my waistline.

I have had the same when there are too many chips, however I usually just freeze them. When they are recooked in the oven they are nice and crispy.

I have had the same when there are too many chips, however I usually just freeze them. When they are recooked in the oven they are nice and crispy.

I have thought of doing that...But I'm not generally a lover of frozen chips...But hey, it's worth a try...(I think) :huh:

When we have fish and chips we order a fish each and share a portion of chips. A standard portion of chips is plenty for all three of us.

When we have fish and chips we order a fish each and share a portion of chips. A standard portion of chips is plenty for all three of us.

I wouldn't know for sure, but I do think it's a 'Yorkshire' thing..I don't recall ridiculously sized portions anywhere else in the country...(I'm talking just chips here...Not necessarily 'fish').

Oh and prey tell...How are fishermen going to catch 'standard' sized fish?...What happens if they catch a big bugger?

I wouldn't know for sure, but I do think it's a 'Yorkshire' thing..I don't recall ridiculously sized portions anywhere else in the country...(I'm talking just chips here...Not necessarily 'fish').

You could be right. I grew up in a seaside place dahn sarf and we had fish&chips on the seafront every Friday night, the portions were nowhere near the size we get in Sheffield. Mind you this was in the 1960s and I think portion sizes have increased across the board since then.