The Normalisation of Deviance

It is legitimate to say that not all voters for Trump, Farage and Brexit are racist.

However, because the terms racist/racism have been over-zealously applied by some throughout the recent political upheaval, are we in danger of not using it when it is accurate and necessary?

Are we at risk of sitting by and letting a highly dangerous normalisation of deviance take place?

For reference - The normalization of deviance is defined as: “The gradual process through which unacceptable practice or standards become acceptable. As the deviant behaviour is repeated without catastrophic results, it becomes the social norm for the organization."

It is legitimate to say that not all voters for Trump, Farage and Brexit are racist.

However, because the terms racist/racism have been over-zealously applied by some throughout the recent political upheaval, are we in danger of not using it when it is accurate and necessary?

Are we at risk of sitting by and letting a highly dangerous normalisation of deviance take place?

For reference - The normalization of deviance is defined as: “The gradual process through which unacceptable practice or standards become acceptable. As the deviant behaviour is repeated without catastrophic results, it becomes the social norm for the organization."

i would not have use them words but at least it is hard to say your of topic lol

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 00:48 ----------

so i think you have a very fixed meaning of racism

i would not have use them words but at least it is hard to say your of topic lol

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 00:48 ----------

so i think you have a very fixed meaning of racism

The meaning of racism is fixed, in the parameters of its accepted definition, it is a fact. EDIT - It is undergoing some evolution though, and I don't know where it will finally land.

How do you want to define it?

Edited by mikem8634

The meaning of racism is fixed, in the parameters of its accepted definition, it is a fact.

How do you want to define it?

i am sure the good book of oxford may have another, but the discrimination of another through race, creed or stature

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 00:57 ----------

so again where is the most racism

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 01:03 ----------

are you googling it

Edited by phil752

i am sure the good book of oxford may have another, but the discrimination of another through race creed stature

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 00:57 ----------

so again where is the most racism

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 01:03 ----------

are you googling it

The definition I gave on the other thread was from the Oxford English Dictionary -

Racist - a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another. OED

I have no idea where the most racism is.

The definition I gave on the other thread was from the Oxford English Dictionary -

Racist - a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another. OED

I have no idea where the most racism is.

i guess my believes goes further, the worst I believe and have witnessed is in India with caste system. I truly believe every one are of the same stature. with the caste system it blows your definition out.

The Daily Mail in the practice of attempting to normalise deviance by diminishing the impact of neo-nazi terrorism.

Can anybody suggest a reasonable justification for this -

The verdict and sentencing of the terrorist murder of MP Jo Cox made it onto the front of every major national newspaper in Britain on Thursday morning.

Every paper that is, apart from the Daily Mail, which today faced a barrage of criticism for beginning its coverage of the death of the mother-of-two at the hands of white supremacist Thomas Mair on page 30.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/james-obrien-attacks-the-daily-mail-for-placing-jo-cox-murder-verdict-on-page-30_uk_5836facae4b0ddedcf5c6ab5

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/jo-cox-murderer-page-30-daily-mail-james-obrien/

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 01:30 ----------

i guess my believes goes further, the worst I believe and have witnessed is in India with caste system. I truly believe every one are of the same stature. with the caste system it blows your definition out.

It doesn't blow the definition out, it just isn't racism in the strictest sense of the word.

It is social discrimination.

I do concede, however, that the modern usage of racism does seem to extend its parameters to cover various types of discrimination that are not related to race.

Edited by mikem8634

The Daily Mail in the practice of attempting to normalise deviance by diminishing the impact of neo-nazi terrorism.

Can anybody suggest a reasonable justification for this -

The verdict and sentencing of the terrorist murder of MP Jo Cox made it onto the front of every major national newspaper in Britain on Thursday morning.

Every paper that is, apart from the Daily Mail, which today faced a barrage of criticism for beginning its coverage of the death of the mother-of-two at the hands of white supremacist Thomas Mair on page 30.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/james-obrien-attacks-the-daily-mail-for-placing-jo-cox-murder-verdict-on-page-30_uk_5836facae4b0ddedcf5c6ab5

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/jo-cox-murderer-page-30-daily-mail-james-obrien/

How do headlines normalize anything, it can not be anything to do with racism because its white on white according to your definition, he was extreme in his views and i believed ill. However the wolfs needed a sentence that fitted the outcry, if he was ill then a different sentence would have been given.This is in no way defending his actions.

I think you should look up 'deviance' in a dictionary. It has several meanings.

So far as I'm concerned, 'deviance', as in human behavior, can be a very good thing in this day and age (as well as all history) preventing, for instance, everyone becoming sheeple. It just means to deviate, change direction, maybe think outside the box. Creative. Good. All politics stinks anyway. Don't know why people waste their time with it.

How do headlines normalize anything, it can not be anything to do with racism because its white on white according to your definition, he was extreme in his views and i believed ill. However the wolfs needed a sentence that fitted the outcry, if he was ill then a different sentence would have been given.This is in no way defending his actions.

The story belonged on the front page, which is where it appeared in all the other papers. To not put it there is an attempt to diminish its impact (unless you have another explanation).

If you diminish the impact of something horrific you, by definition, make it less horrible, more normal - hence normalisation of deviance.

His crime may not have been racist but he committed it in the name of a cause that most certainly is racist - neo-nazism.

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 01:46 ----------

I think you should look up 'deviance' in a dictionary. It has several meanings.

So far as I'm concerned, 'deviance', as in human behavior, can be a very good thing in this day and age (as well as all history) preventing, for instance, everyone becoming sheeple. It just means to deviate, change direction, maybe think outside the box. Creative. Good. All politics stinks anyway. Don't know why people waste their time with it.

I know it does, which is why I provided the definition of the term 'normalisation of deviance' - it is a sociological theory and in that context it does not apply to every individual deviant action.

There are similarities and links to The Overton Window.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overton_window

Which is very relevant to Trump, Farage, Sanders, Le Pen etc.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/Politics-Voices/2016/0311/How-Trump-and-Sanders-broke-the-Overton-window

Shifting the Overton Window can be a positive or negative process whereas the normalisation of deviance is always negative and often dangerous.

Edited by mikem8634

The story belonged on the front page, which is where it appeared in all the other papers. To not put it there is an attempt to diminish its impact (unless you have another explanation).

If you diminish the impact of something horrific you, by definition, make it less horrible, more normal - hence normalisation of deviance.

His crime may not have been racist but he committed it in the name of a cause that most certainly is racist - neo-nazism.

To be honest i have a lot of sympathy for he family, however what is the difference in her and and http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-60734/Workers-baked-alive-bread-factory-horror.html both doing their jobs

---------- Post added 25-11-2016 at 01:51 ----------

i guess it can be said that work place accident get normalized

Is 'normalisation of deviance' happening (if it is happening,) as a reaction to 'political correctness' which seems to me to be the opposite, and to have also gone too far the other way?

As with all things, is there not a middle way, which allows people to express themselves honestly, which I personally think is their right, without giving offence when none was intended.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding your point.