Young driver learning to drive Automatic. Opinions?

I have a manual license and do need that for my job also, but my own personal car is an auto that I have had for five years. I do prefer them to be honest especially with all the start stop and queuing at junctions etc nowadays. No shame in it whatsoever so go for it and good luck. Don't forget, you could always do you're manual test in the future if you fancy it and would have a stack more road experience at that stage.

I was in an auto taxi the other day, I was surprised because of the high milage that they do, it was a smooth ride.

I passed in a manual but I can't see me ever driving again. If I was to drive again I would buy a small automatic most likely. For me trying to drive a large car is worse than learning how to drive a manual, husband has an Hyundai i40. But what makes it more difficult is that I still have to think about the gear changes - took over a year of lessons and I still never seemed to the hang of it, then trying to drive what feels like a tank to me. I haven't driven for a couple of months now. Some people just don't get the hang of a manual. If you have a choice between not passing or passing in an automatic then go for an automatic.

Automatic vs. manual is much clearer cut with motorbikes where manual wins hands down. With cars not so clear. But what you want is a choice.

1. Automatics are usually more expensive to buy, and repair.

2. You're limited on your choice of car.

3. A manual license allows you to drive both manual and automatic, whilst an automatic license limit's you to automatic only.

4. You cannot "manipulate" your gears and speed. This usually means automatics are slower than their manual counterparts.

5. I'd imagine it makes driving quite boring.

1. Automatics are usually more expensive to buy, and repair.

2. You're limited on your choice of car.

3. A manual license allows you to drive both manual and automatic, whilst an automatic license limit's you to automatic only.

4. You cannot "manipulate" your gears and speed. This usually means automatics are slower than their manual counterparts.

5. I'd imagine it makes driving quite boring.

I think in the next decade it will be irrelevant. The auto performance difference is a thing of the past and a myth from the old 3 speed autos. Infact you would need to be pretty brutal with most manual boxes these days to outpace the auto version.

My current car has an 8 speed and isn't available as a manual.

Many manual boxes are now paddle shift which I presume could be driven on an auto licence anyhow. The old clutch on the floor and a gear lever will soon be history pretty much like happened in the US decades ago.

It's your choice whether you go for manual or automatic; most of the reasons given for not learning on an automatic are, mostly, specious as they refer to older automatics.

The only problem I'd foresee is if you breakdown and they don't have an automatic replacement car immediately available.

As to automatics being boring, it all depends on your driving style. I've owned a Citroen C3 and a Mercedes CLK, both auto boxes and both fun to drive.

Automatic vs. manual is much clearer cut with motorbikes where manual wins hands down. With cars not so clear. But what you want is a choice.

For me, learning in an automatic was never an option I would entertain. I was also determined not to be swapped to a scooter on my CBT, and I'm glad I didn't. I sat on one recently and it just felt unsafe, I'd rather have my legs wrapped around a bike, than just perched on a scooter :suspect:

I know my mum prefers automatic cars, but she struggles with hill starts and she passed her test 15 years ago. I've never really had an issue with hill starts, even on the bike.

Edited by Isabelle

Electrics are I think always automatic as are most hybrids. As these are increasingly becoming standard I'm not convinced a new driver needs a manual license anything like as much as they used to.

While the electric/hybrid was two pedals it's not got any gears as such, unlike a standard auto of which some have 8 gears these days.

It accelerates like a toy train, the more lecky the motor gets the faster they spin, giving absoloutly seemless acceleration. A big plus with lecky/hybrid, they are unable to stall, it's impossible to make them do it.

Angel1.

You can't bump start an automatic.