Internet refusals and dropouts

The internet often refuses to connect with my router, especially in the morning. It also sometimes drops a connection to a website (any website) while I'm using it. This happens much less on Sundays. Is this a matter for me to take up with my internet provider and if they offer to replace the router would that be a sensible thing to do? The reason I'm asking is that in the past they have proposed things that made no difference to the current problem at the time and I have doubts about their technical ability at the level available to me. Does it sound like the internet is just busy when I can't get on it, perhaps? My PC is 8 years and probably a bit slow compared with the latest ones: could that be the reason?

im on BT and not really had a problem, untill about the past 2 weeks and getting a red light on the router a lot, happened yesterday during my show and later on, and the day before it wouldnt reboot correctly for aaaages

Yes, my router's red light shows red sometimes so I unplug the router and then reconnect it to the power and that turns the red light green for a while. But the internet's refusal to connect is a different fault. When I try to connect the browser to the net and with the red light at green the net still refuses some mornings. I'm looking for ideas about what I can try next.

Assuming your BB is shared with your phone, can you hear popping and cracking on the phone, if so it implies a poor connection

between you and the exchange. You could also try disconnecting all phones and just have the router connected.

Hi Mikes 10 and no, there is no crackling or popping sound. I'll try disconnecting all the phones, as you say. If that doesn't work I suppose I'll have to contact my internet provider and get them to look at it. I never enjoy doing that.

Edited by woolyhead

Need a few more details...

what ISP?

what router/modem?

Laptop or Desktop or Mac?

Wireless or Wired?

have you tried other devices while it's "dropped out" to see if it's actually ur internet/router or the device you're using....

Hi everyone. Thanks for your inputs but I think I've sorted this problem now. First of all it looks as if my PC takes much longer to fully boot up than the System Care App says. It tells me it's about 1.5 mins. But if I look at the CPU activity from power up it goes right up at first (98%) and eventually (6 mins later) it falls to about 5%-ish. RAM activity is practically steady at 33%. If I wait until this lower CPU activity occurs I can then get onto the net straight away. Sorry but it seems I may have been misleading you until now. Not intentional, just my ignorance. The net must have been capable of responding all the time but my PC wasn't ready for the task. Ever since I discovered this and waited for CPU activity to settle down everything has been better (for a few successful attempts anyhow). I will let you know if things change. If they do, Ghozer, I'll answer your questions. Thanks for asking............ It has now (May 31st) worked ok on 7 out of 8 occasions.

Edited by woolyhead

...System Care App says. ...

I do hope that is not related to this:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=System+Care+Antivirus

Or is it this:

http://www.onesystemcare.com/

These apps tend to soak up RAM attempting to do their job - you are much better not having such applications on the system. At one stage I used to use PC Blue software, caused more issues than it solved!

Swarfendor 43, it's called Advanced System Care. Once the booting up of the PC has finished everything works well.

wollyhead..

Try turning it off or disabling it and see how long it then takes to boot up.

IMHO paying £23 or so for something like this is a total rip-off as they dont really do much to improve a PC, especially as you say one that's around 8 years old.

What's IMHO? Advanced System care is free.

What's IMHO? Advanced System care is free.

"In My Honest (or Humble) Opinion"